X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Hose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose?

Hose?

Dear Kiltlovers,

as far as I know Kilt-Hoses are a special kind of stockings made for being worn with a Kilt. As I do not only sew but also knit I want do make some on my own. Are there any good and free instructions on the internet?
    Second Question:
    I thought, that if the entire hose is made of wool it might wear out easily and get holes or becomes felted in the footpart. Moist and warmth from the feet will cause the wool to felt. So that this does not happen, I thought of separating the foot and the leg part of the hose.
    The leg part does not felt and continues to look beautiful while the foot part can be replaced easily, when it gets holes. By now I made two pairs of leg parts.

It is not entirely traditional, but what do you think?
    By the way: Bavarian peasants had the same problem and their solution was exactely that: Separating leg and foot part of stockings. This became the 'Wadlstrümpfe' a part of Bavarian traditional costume for men.

Greetings from Munich
    Michael

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a website that I had looked at many years ago, thinking I might like to take up knitting. I never did, but you may find it useful:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTtoirneach.html

On the question of separating the foot from the leg, I suppose you could do it if you wanted. It does not seem to be a traditional choice for kilt hose, although the military regiments did use a separate "hose top" that was worn with a regular sock below it. The overlap between the two was typically hidden by spats or puttees, though, so it doesn't necessarily translate over to a civilian traditional look (unless you're planning on wearing spats).

I have several pair of hand-knit hose, and to be honest, they got more comfortable as the feet started to felt. When they were new, I could feel the ribbing of the knit pattern under my foot and it was not very comfortable. But as I wore them more and more, the foot shrank a bit and conformed itself to my foot, and the stitching closed up. Now they are smooth and well-formed to my feet. I find them to be very comfortable, although they are a bit stiff when I first put them on each time. After a few minutes of wearing them, the fibers seem to relax.

As for the potential for holes, yes, that's always a risk. But I would think that anyone who knits should be able to darn a sock to extend its life.

Could you post some photos of Wadlstrümpfe as an example of what a separate foot and leg looks like?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the pattern that Tobus posted (which I am currently knitting for my son) here's another pattern I was looking at:

https://www.knitting-and.com/crafts-...john-anderson/

There's also this book that I have seen several people post about when it comes to knitting hose:

https://www.amazon.ca/Kilt-Knickerbo.../dp/0942018079

Shane

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose?

Dear GSmacleod,

thanks for the link with the pattern. I have to try - I hope I will be able to succed.
    @Wadlstrümpfe:
    This is what traditional Wadlstrümpfe in Bavaria look like:
    Wadlstrümpfe
    I posted some photographs in the DIY-Section. I hope they will be online soon.

Greetings

Michael

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael the Bavarian View Post
    By now I made two pairs of leg parts.
    It is not entirely traditional, but what do you think?
    If you attached a photo, it's not showing up. (This is a fairly normal problem for new members, so perhaps a moderator could ensure the photo shows up.)

Bavarian peasants had the same problem and their solution was exactely that: Separating leg and foot part of stockings. This became the 'Wadlstrümpfe' a part of Bavarian traditional costume for men.
    If you are wearing a Wadlstrümpfe with a kilt outside of Germany, it might look odd to most observers. It will probably be considered less odd inside of Germany.

On the other hand, several forum members have previously mentioned wearing trachtenstrümpfe (where the foot and calf are all one piece, not two) as an alternative to kilt hose. I believe the members who did so were either mainland Europeans or North Americans, and not from the British Isles.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    If you attached a photo, it's not showing up. (This is a fairly normal problem for new members, so perhaps a moderator could ensure the photo shows up.)
    Here they do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant see em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    In addition to the pattern that Tobus posted (which I am currently knitting for my son) here's another pattern I was looking at:

https://www.knitting-and.com/crafts-...john-anderson/

There's also this book that I have seen several people post about when it comes to knitting hose:

https://www.amazon.ca/Kilt-Knickerbo.../dp/0942018079

Shane
    Those are beautiful, I too may like to tackle these one day, thanks, Shane.
    Last edited by Me cousin Jack; 7th November 19 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post: