X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose... or at least a sort of hose

Hello,

here are some photographs of the hoses that I have knitted:

DSC01277 by belut.tirauhh, auf Flickr

and
    DSC01274 by belut.tirauhh, auf Flickr

They do not have foot part - as I call it - you have to wear them with regular socks.

I hope you like the photos

Michael from Munich

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Michael the Bavarian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now those I can see, beautiful, thank you for posting.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nicely done!

Now that I see your examples, those are not too different than the "hose tops" used by Highland regiments. They are worn on the leg, separate from socks. But of course, the tops still have a turnover like regular kilt hose. And as I said in your other thread, the bottom is typically covered with spats or puttees. But in essence, it is the same principle. You could take the same approach with these leggings that you knit, and just turn over the top ribbed section to cover garter ties. I think they would look fabulous.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your compliments.
    You might wear them with flashes or other ties, that fix below the knee cap. I might consider that.
    I plan to make more These Leggings /Wadlstrümpfe/Stulpen... I already have serveral designs in my mind. I think they are very versatile and very handy as they do not get holes by being worn toö much.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Michael the Bavarian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using this concept of "leg-parts (leggings?) and socks" while travelling kilted several years now.
    The reason: the foot area needs washing about daily but the "leg-part" does not. The woollen kilt hose takes about two days (or more) to dry and takes quite much room in your carry-on luggage, so take only one pair of leggings and some pairs of thinner socks, the latter can be washed on the go and dries overnight, and does not take all the available room in the bag.

If both are the same colour (mine are black) the dividing line at the ankle, just above the shoe, is almost invisible. So, "the one who minds doesn't matter and the one who matters doesn't mind".

Found this concept very practical while travelling lite and dressing casual.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Kylahullu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do something similar ... I was turned onto this idea by Howie Nicholsby -- I wear low-cut merino wool athletic socks which get washed daily. The "tops" are inexpensive hose that I've chopped the feet off of. That way the bulk of the look doesn't get washed as often -- because it doesn't it it -- as the foot socks. Sounds like exactly what you're doing, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylahullu View Post
    I have been using this concept of "leg-parts (leggings?) and socks" while travelling kilted several years now.
    The reason: the foot area needs washing about daily but the "leg-part" does not. The woollen kilt hose takes about two days (or more) to dry and takes quite much room in your carry-on luggage, so take only one pair of leggings and some pairs of thinner socks, the latter can be washed on the go and dries overnight, and does not take all the available room in the bag.

If both are the same colour (mine are black) the dividing line at the ankle, just above the shoe, is almost invisible. So, "the one who minds doesn't matter and the one who matters doesn't mind".

Found this concept very practical while travelling lite and dressing casual.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post: