X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an impressive looking sgian dugh!

Do you know what its history is?

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Leather?

Frank
    No, while it’s still ‘made in Scotland’ it’s all just cheap plastic. Although I was able to grind a decent edge on the blunt blade, if I do say so myself.

I’m of the opinion a sgian should be practical or not worn at all. What’s the point of a dull knife, or worse a knife with no blade?
    Not to say I don’t appreciate the ornate decorations of some. But I think, if you’re carry a blade it ought to be useful to be justified. This also means that I should be able to draw it in a pinch without any fooling about.

🎵🎵 I want to pull it out
    Most certainly without
    Any dumb fooling about 🎵🎵

Sorry for the slight thread derail lol
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheath quality

This is an issue which I have long thought could crop up sooner or later and I my first thought has always been that if a sgian or its sheath can damage my hose then its just as likely to damage my leg. I have a small collection of sgians - all with polished horn or wood hilts and my most recent purchase was not from the usual sources but from a Sheffield knife-maker. The quality of the leather sheath that came with this sgian is impressive - heavy thick leather, sturdily stitched, and gripping the blade reassuringly firmly. This made me realize that the sheath on my oldest sgian was now in comparison more akin to an old sock. By coincidence the blades were of identical size and shape and the Sheffield company were happy to sell me another sheath for my old sgian - I feel secure again.

Another sgian of mine is similar to the one shown above by OC Richard - it has a scabbard of polished horn with sterling silver fittings and it has some kind of internal mechanism which retains the blade. In addition to cleaning it receives a close inspection for any rough edges or little barbs every time I wear it as I wish damage neither to hose nor to leg. However, as OC points out, it can be worn with a plain leather sheath - who's going to know?

It's worth re-emphasizing some points made by others - a sgian hilt should be shaped to lie flat against the leg. The garter should be gripping the hilt, not the sheath and the sheath should grip the blade tightly otherwise they most certainly will part company with the sgian flying out (to become lost) or the sheath dropping down inside your hose in which case a surgeon might be required to repair your leg.
    Last edited by Dr Bee; 17th November 19 at 06:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
    No, while it’s still ‘made in Scotland’ it’s all just cheap plastic. Although I was able to grind a decent edge on the blunt blade, if I do say so myself.

I’m of the opinion a sgian should be practical or not worn at all. What’s the point of a dull knife, or worse a knife with no blade?
    Not to say I don’t appreciate the ornate decorations of some. But I think, if you’re carry a blade it ought to be useful to be justified. This also means that I should be able to draw it in a pinch without any fooling about.

🎵🎵 I want to pull it out
    Most certainly without
    Any dumb fooling about 🎵🎵

Sorry for the slight thread derail lol
    Just remember, this is supposed to be a utility knife, the equivalent of the pocket knife or jack knife. I've never had a need to ".. should be able to draw it in a pinch without any fooling about". I'm sure this is just a phrasing issue. But it's 2019; this board is pretty strict on certain talk and topics; and folks in Scottish dress have been in trouble with the law in Canada for wearing a sgian in public. No one needs to draw a strictly ceremonial blade "in a pinch".

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember, this is supposed to be a utility knife, the equivalent of the pocket knife or jack knife. I've never had a need to ".. should be able to draw it in a pinch without any fooling about". I'm sure this is just a phrasing issue. But it's 2019; this board is pretty strict on certain talk and topics; and folks in Scottish dress have been in trouble with the law in Canada for wearing a sgian in public. No one needs to draw a strictly ceremonial blade "in a pinch".

Frank
    That’s where we differ, I see no utility in a ‘strictly ceremonial’ blade. A pocket knife or jack knife is meant to be used in practical situations.

To be sure I was not referring to pulling a knife on somebody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn hose!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence is intended, or implied.

Frank
    Last edited by Highland Logan; 17th November 19 at 11:14 AM.
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence is intended, or implied.

Frank
    None taken!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McCracken140 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I'm of the opinion that the scabbard should come out with the blade. Otherwise, when you put it back in, you have to either fish the scabbard out, or try to gently guide the blade back into a hidden opening, whilst trying to hold the scabbard from pushing further down into the hose and trying not to catch the hose with the tip of the blade.
    I learned this the hard way. I ruined a pair of cotton (not-really-kilt-)hose by missing the scabbard with a very sharp blade the day of a wedding. My wife immediately sewed the hole but the pattern was trashed and I ended up tossing them (they were $8/pair so no great loss). Then again, that'll teach me to use pointy things to make a point. ;)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All’ya’all’s viewpoints are much appreciated.

Thank you all for a lively, entertaining, and an especially useful and informative commentary. I never contemplated that what I assumed would be a simple matter could generate such diversified and thoughtful comments. All’ya’all’s viewpoints are much appreciated.
    Semper Paratus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast