X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About jabbing your leg, the sgian I showed has the typical traditional sheath where the mounts have points, but those points are just on the front of the sheath. The backside of the mounts, the ones in contact with your leg, go straight across without points.

So your leg is safe from getting jabbed, but as I said those points (one going up, one going down) seem special-made to catch in the yarn of your hose, both putting the sgian in your sock and pulling it out.

It does make one wonder why those pointy mounts are so very common in old sginean.

Anyhow a plain leather sheath is what does it for me- there's nothing to catch in the sock.

BTW other features seen in many traditional sginean that pose dangers for socks are the nail-heads and the little badges. Some regiments wear their sginean high in the sock so that the entire handle is exposed. Others put the sgian halfway down in the sock, so that the tips of St Andrew's cross and the various nail-heads can snag your hose.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th November 19 at 04:57 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Do you know, I've been wearing a sgian for something like 70 years and have never had a hose issue?

Some of mine have brass or silver sheath fittings, some have just leather. I suspect, if you are having problems, they have more to do with your hose than your sheath.

All my hose over all those years have been hand-knit from wool. I do recall one pair I had, and probably still have, where the tip of the sheath protruded, I guess because of the looseness of the knit. I think I liked that bit of personal bling.

What I would like to pass on from all those years is: if you value your hose more than your sgian, then don't wear a sgian.

If, on the other hand, your sgian is valued and important to you, find hose that will match that value and last at least your generation.
    Exactly my thoughts and experience as well.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had nary an issue with my sgian dubh marring or otherwise catching on kilt hose, even with the economy and colored hose in the lower end of the quality range (most I could afford at the time) from USA Kilts. My sgian dubh is featured somewhere around here on a post from about this time last year maybe, and is a simple antler and blackwood hilt from Ullapool Box Creations. A very nice blade indeed, and I love it. I have noticed that at work when I pull it out for use in cutting wrappers from liquor bottles or other small tasks (I'm a bartender), or in educational "show and tell" moments with patrons, that the sheath tends to stick to my leg and remain in my hose. It seems the sheath is worn loose. However, I recently purchased the materials to make several sgian dubhs from Rainnea, and the sheaths are double thickness and of very high quality. I'll be ordering a spare for my existing sgian dubh so that it grips the blade better and would slide out of my hose if I take the knife out for use.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DustyBoots For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Just remember, this is supposed to be a utility knife, the equivalent of the pocket knife or jack knife. I've never had a need to ".. should be able to draw it in a pinch without any fooling about". I'm sure this is just a phrasing issue. But it's 2019; this board is pretty strict on certain talk and topics; and folks in Scottish dress have been in trouble with the law in Canada for wearing a sgian in public. No one needs to draw a strictly ceremonial blade "in a pinch".

Frank
    My grandson was asking me about defending myself with a sgian dubh when I was wearing my kilt with all the accessories. I told him that I'm better with my hands and would not take the time to pull the sgian. I know some people frown upon them here, but I usually wear a fake resin one. I just don't need the hassle.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not totally trying to de-rail this tread but, to my knowledge, it was only once instance where wearing sgian dubh became a problem for "Canadian" police. It was in Montreal Quebec where the Canadian Black Watch pipe band was playing. BTW, many Quebec police are quite anti-anglo. The courts eventually dropped the charges and returned the sgian dubh to the piper.
    I wear a sgian dubh every day as I wear a kilt everyday - regardless of weather. Yes, even in January-February at a minus 20 or lower. Pubs, a theaters (live or movie) restaurants, where-ever. I've never had a problem anywhere in 8 other Canadian provinces. Sorry for the hijack but felt it necessary to come to the aid of my many Canadian Police friends.

Back on track.
    I've given up on having metal on scabbards as damage to $30 hose wasn't worth the problem. On two scabbards for two of my favorite sginean I had to round the scabbard tip a tad and on one, added a small strip of fur to the outside of the scabbard that was the same as that on one of my sporrans. The use of a piece of velcro seems so much better! Thanks for the idea.
    I make scotch disappear — what's your superpower?

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tedscanoe For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tedscanoe. The forum was informed and updated on that sad Canadian sgian issue and its resolution, but it's always good to keep in mind polis errors of the past. Better to be safe than sorry, eh? If its a worry then carry your pen knife in your sporran not your sgian in your hose

On subject: it could be that others have had damage done to their hose by silver/brass/copper-encased sheaths, but after all of almost seventy years I've never had a problem. Still and all, if you or anyone is worried about damage then go to a leather sheath if you think that will help, for sure, but keep in mind that steel encased in leather will do just as much damage to wool as will steel encased in brass.

In other words, I think this whole concern is nonsense. I wear hand-knit hose everyday and every day I wear a sgian dubh. Over the years my hose wear out at the toe and the heel and they need to be darned or simply recycled; I have never worn out or recycled a sgian.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 6th February 20 at 08:21 PM.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    My grandson was asking me about defending myself with a sgian dubh when I was wearing my kilt with all the accessories. I told him that I'm better with my hands and would not take the time to pull the sgian. I know some people frown upon them here, but I usually wear a fake resin one. I just don't need the hassle.

Dave
    Yes, I understand your grandson's question, although that would not be asked in most of the world. In Scotland (and elsewhere) there is no fear of personal safety and therefore no thought that the sgian is considered a 'weapon' of offense or defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hand made a sheath for my sgian dubh, using a thicker 8oz for the rear with a lighter 4oz at the front. I coated the blade with vaseline ( petroleum jelly) to protect it while wet forming the front of the sheath to the blade and left to dry. The sheath also accepts the first in of the handle.
    Yes it's thicker and heavier than the stock sheath sent out wi the sgian dubh, but it sits flat to my leg and stays in place.
    If anything, I get greater damage from the garter than the sgian dubh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't velcro going to hurt the hose? I know I cringe every time my scarf or mitten get caught on the velcro of my coat and I have to rip it off... pulling little bits of threads with it. Eventually (pretty quickly) you'll get a fuzzy spot of damaged threads.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123