X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About jabbing your leg, the sgian I showed has the typical traditional sheath where the mounts have points, but those points are just on the front of the sheath. The backside of the mounts, the ones in contact with your leg, go straight across without points.

So your leg is safe from getting jabbed, but as I said those points (one going up, one going down) seem special-made to catch in the yarn of your hose, both putting the sgian in your sock and pulling it out.

It does make one wonder why those pointy mounts are so very common in old sginean.

Anyhow a plain leather sheath is what does it for me- there's nothing to catch in the sock.

BTW other features seen in many traditional sginean that pose dangers for socks are the nail-heads and the little badges. Some regiments wear their sginean high in the sock so that the entire handle is exposed. Others put the sgian halfway down in the sock, so that the tips of St Andrew's cross and the various nail-heads can snag your hose.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th November 19 at 04:57 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte