X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work on my response is underway; we will have two in our party. We are looking forward to it!
    Rebecca (Becky) Deckard
    American descendant of Irish and Scottish pioneers
    member of Daughters of the American Revolution
    member of Clan Guthrie USA

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    So, when Michael calls, answer the call.
    I thought I already had called. Speak up, folk. It's your event. Well, it's mostly Jim's, but it's ours to do. As he said, we finally were at the phone and
    on the phone at the same time; we're on our duties.

Please feel free to volunteer to take on anything in the supper. I'm happy to referee.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And.... silence.

Come on, gentlemen... this will be my 3rd time sacrificing myself for the Lassies' response, and hoping to not have salad or haggis thrown at me. Are you brave, kilted men really going to let a lassie outdo you? Come now, step forward.....
    Rebecca (Becky) Deckard

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just when everything was going fine--BOOM!

We can't get the Celtic Friday night. I can probably find another venue without too much problem--most restaurants would love having 20 or more paying guests for dinner who also visit the bar--but getiing the haggis, neeps and tatties, etc. is an issue. Very few folks even know how to skin a haggis, much less cook it.

Becky, is there any way you can come on Saturday, the 1st. I know we're stringing this out, but I don't know what else to do.

I am open to any other suggestions. Come one, folks, help me out here. It's my fault for not checking with the Celtic before, but I just couldn't imagine anyone turning away 20+ paying customers. Shows what I know.

And BTW, this is not mostly my affair. I kind of got things started and I have taken on much of the planning in the past, but it is a joint effort. The last couple of years have shown that. I wasn't even there. Ha. So, come on. Please speak up.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will and I can definitely make it Saturday, Feb 1st. Let me know what else we can do to help get this show on the road.
    Rebecca (Becky) Deckard

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaCelticLass View Post
    Will and I can definitely make it Saturday, Feb 1st. Let me know what else we can do to help get this show on the road.
    Let's just hope Will appreciates you.

OK, guys. Sing out. Can we do it Saturday, the 1st? It gives everyone more time since few people work on Saturday.

And if I'm still kickin' next year, I will start early in getting our venue. If there is a quality alternative to the Celtic, I may move the event. After, lo, these many years--what is this, the 14th or so?--I think that perhaps the new owner--who is a friend of mine--does not appreciate our patronage. Greg is still helping him, but he doesn't actually own it any more. So . . . we are in a fix just now with few options. Believe me, if I could find another place where we could get the haggis and fixin's, I would. (Can you tell that I am not particularly happy?)

I can do the haggis and such, but I really don't want to. I actually cooked it myself the first year, and it was good. But if I have to do that, we will rent my lodge building (about two blocks from the Tavern) or some other place, and I will hire a small kitchen crew to handle things once the festivities get rolling.

Again, I am very sorry for this problem of my creation. Contact everybody you know and pass the word. WE need to decide by tomorrow, I think, about the date and location. Right now, I'm saying Feb 1 at the Celtic Tavern.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW: if everyone is still in, the current headcount is around 22 or so. I have about 5 or 6 non-Xmark friends who are coming, too.

Again: HEADCOUNT!

Trippleblessed--2
    Alabama 2
    My friends 6
    Wil 2
    Creag 2??
    Wareyin 2 or 3?
    Donnachaidhs 4?
    My friend Scott 6
    Rusty the piper 1?
    Last edited by thescot; 22nd January 20 at 08:04 AM.
    Jim Killman

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing. The cost this year is $22/adult. If anyone is coming for the event, they will be expected to eat from the Bill o' Fare since that's how we pay for everything. It's not kosher to come for the show and not pay. Somebody one year ordered a cheap sandwich off the menu.

Come on, guys. That ain't right. The Celtic goes to a lot of expense with haggis, whisky, etc. Have you checked concert tickets lately? 22 bucks for a nice evening--complete with haggis, sissy meat substitute, whisky sauce, a professional piper, and a complemetary shot to toast with--is not bad at all. If you just can't afford it, call me privately, and we'll see if we can't work something out.

If you have small children who need to eat off of the kid's menu, that's different.

And just FYI: I can tell you that making the haggis takes a good half a day, so it is labor intensive.
    Last edited by thescot; 22nd January 20 at 08:14 AM.
    Jim Killman

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday the 1st works for me. It'll probably be me, unless I can convince more of my family.

(that's weird, I swear the *'s weren't there before! deleting them now)
    Last edited by Wareyin; 22nd January 20 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday the 1st is good. And there's only going to be one of me this year.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast