X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at my local St. Andrew's Ball on Saturday night. I wore my velvet doublet and horsehair sporran both from 1911 with a silk bow tie. I don't own a velvet bow tie but they are out there, and I have thought about purchasing one but to my mind it doesn't matter much if your bow tie material does not match the facings of your lapels. I heard nothing but compliments on Saturday but I am almost certain that I was the only gentleman in the room wearing velvet.

Last edited by McMurdo; 3rd December 19 at 11:56 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I was at my local St. Andrew's Ball on Saturday night. I wore my velvet doublet and horsehair sporran both from 1911 with a silk bow tie. I don't own a velvet bow tie but they are out there, and I have thought about purchasing one but to my mind it doesn't matter much if your bow tie material does not match the facings of your lapels. I heard nothing but compliments on Saturday but I am almost certain that I was the only gentleman in the room wearing velvet.

The Tiebar has silk velvet bowties but they are pre tied unfortunately.

I found another site selling silk barathea bowties (self tie) for $35. I’ll probably just do that.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I like the silk bow ties that are a bit on the floppy side, that don't stick out stiffly.

And yes self-tied so there's some wonderful wonkiness to it.

But that's just me.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to give the gents at my table a tutorial on how to tie a bow tie. I think out of the entire room there was only a handful of self tie bow ties it really is sad.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to give the gents at my table a tutorial on how to tie a bow tie. I think out of the entire room there was only a handful of self tie bow ties it really is sad.
    I have the same duty at pretty much every Mess function. Quite sad really! I have a white tie event this WE (regrettably, it will be in Tails rather than cilted), but already, I have had requests for advice on starching shirts (particularly collars) and waistcoats (vests), as well as how to tie the bow tie. What do they teach young officers these days.....?
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a bow tie most days and it is amazing how many people assume tying one is some difficult, esoteric art. When I explain it's just like tying your shoe, just around your neck and demonstrate, they are generally quite surprised. I've had a few subsequently adopt bow ties, but not as many as I would like

Andrew

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this on Ebay- full velvet Argyll jackets!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Velvet...p2056016.l4276

I do think big velvet bow ties would be called for.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - I look at this and I can just hear my nanna chuckle - 'There's mischief.' - though I am sure you were both on your best behaviour.

Anne the Pleater

I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Hmm - I look at this and I can just hear my nanna chuckle - 'There's mischief.' - though I am sure you were both on your best behaviour.

Anne the Pleater
    I just met the gentleman and his wife that night, I just had to get a photo as you rarely see the Toronto Scottish uniform. There was a professional photographer there who took this shot of Vanessa and I

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes - far less of the 'up to something' in that second shot - which is really nice - have you thought of getting a larger version and squaring it off to frame?
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast