X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment File Size

What are the chances we could get a file size update current with contemporary file sizes? 19.5 kb for a pdf is pgd small. Hosted links from members go away when they do, or they change services. No one goes back and updates their links; and I would hardly expect them to.

As it is, photobucket images are more often than not blurry, and many of the great photos discussed by OCR, MoR, ect., are lost to history.

If xmarks wants to be a real repository for all things kilt, or Highland dress, the file sizes for hosting on the xmarks server should be changed. Someday, all anyone will have is a great deal of conversation about "image not found", or "404 document not found".

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually two questions in one.

The "file not found" or Photobucket image error is not something that the forum has any control over. Photobucket began to charge folks to link their photos to third parties such as forums etc. so the account holder must either pay photobucket or move and repost their images.

I can't do that. Only the photo owner can.

I, personally, do not have any photos left of photobucket and have moved all my photos to an alternate site. I can post photos fine.

And while there is a size limit on things like avatars and profile pictures I have not put a limit on the size of a photo that can be inserted into a post. You will often see very large photos in posts. So large that you must use the scrolls at the bottom and side to see the whole photo.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Steve.

I do know about the photobucket issues, as I alluded to, but did not know that you had increased to photo size limit. Thanks.

But there is still the issue of pdf size. There are lots of reasons to use a pdf. One being that it's a public domain book, portion of aforementioned book, large photo set, etc.

I was hoping to upload a portion of a book from 1918 (2nd reprint 1919), which had the patterns for all of the current Scottish jackets.

The board seemed the right place to put this so it not lost to history and available to everyone. It's around 7MB, and the current size limit as stated is 19.5KB.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean