X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan designing can be addictive

Ever since the discovery of the tartan design tools on various sites, I have found myself going back over and over again to use them. A new inspiration arises and I head there to see if I can make it appear as I saw it in my head. To date I have created well over 20 different tartans, some are variations on one I have already designed. Now my only issue is that I have about four I would like to register, but at 70 pounds or 90 US dollars a piece, it gets a bit cost prohibitive. Oh the woes of a tartan addicted man.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure it's fun and addictive.

The thing that noodling with tartan design has taught me is the impact that relatively small changes in proportion make.

I've done a dozen variants of the same design, making minute adjustments, until every proportion feels right.

Then...I look at tartans in production that have clumsy awkward proportions, obviously created by people with no "eye" for proportion and balance.

It's the same with other sorts of graphic design: computer graphics programs allow people with no feel for proportion or lettering design come up with slick-looking t-shirts, signage, and such. The polished finish the computer bestows cannot hide the poor quality of the designs.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd November 19 at 05:13 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: