X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Lanolin as a treatment for woollen kilts?

Hi, Newbie here. Got my first kilt in the 80's. Married in it.

if we can assume, back in the day, that great kilts that used only natural colours of sheep available, or rather muted colours that they would have Lanolin in them?

Note:- As an ex RN guy used submariners polo-neck jumpers, rather scratchy, then not dyed, and full of natural lanolin I assume. Used them as kinda like wet suit tops when canoeing in the Kyles of Lochalsh and later at Rhu Point. Used to flip over with goggles to enjoy the underwater beauty. Then flip back up. cold the first time but after that was great.

1. Assuming that early kilts were functional, they would have natural Lanolin still within the wool.

Then:

2. Using products like Eucalan say every 10 years or so would help refresh and maintain kilts.

Would you agree? Or maybe other thoughts? Just about to purchase some, but dont want to waste my time...
    Rick Johnston, Ian Richard - Caskieben Johnston in Brantford, ONTARIO, Canada. >2000.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Sneet View Post
    Hi, Newbie here. Got my first kilt in the 80's. Married in it.

if we can assume, back in the day, that great kilts that used only natural colours of sheep available, or rather muted colours that they would have Lanolin in them?

Note:- As an ex RN guy used submariners polo-neck jumpers, rather scratchy, then not dyed, and full of natural lanolin I assume. Used them as kinda like wet suit tops when canoeing in the Kyles of Lochalsh and later at Rhu Point. Used to flip over with goggles to enjoy the underwater beauty. Then flip back up. cold the first time but after that was great.

1. Assuming that early kilts were functional, they would have natural Lanolin still within the wool.

Then:

2. Using products like Eucalan say every 10 years or so would help refresh and maintain kilts.

Would you agree? Or maybe other thoughts? Just about to purchase some, but dont want to waste my time...

I would certainly try it on another piece of similar fabric before I put it, (or anything,) on one of my kilts. Just my .02.

Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know you don't have to add lanolin if the wool was processed with it still in. Something to keep in mind...in the US, they process the lanolin out of wool, overseas wool is processed with the lanolin still in it. If I wear a sweater from here in the US I have to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath as I am slightly allergic to the wool here. My GF bought me a sweater from New Zealand and I used to wear it without the shirt because the lanolin was still in the wool.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An old time way of waterproofing woolen clothes was to submerge them in a solution of anhydrous lanolin and benzine. I belive it was Horace Kephart who wrote of it in his camping book. Ive often wondered how it might work on a kilt. There is a commercial product called Nikwax that can waterproof wool. I'm curious about its composition.

I have a lot of sweaters from different sources and I haven't noticed any differnce in itchiness between them. I wear them all next to the skin. I like my white turtleneck submariners sweater for really cold days

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is recorded that in the 18th century Highlanders would waterproof their cloth by smearing whale oil and such like on it. It's difficult to know how widespread this was or even if this practice was carried out or is a myth. It would certainly have got one noticed in polite company.

Much of the natural lanolin in modern tartan is removed in the wool scouring and dyeing processes. If it was not there when new, I'm not sure why one would want to 're-proof' kilt material?

If you really feel the need, be aware that products like Nikwax etc., can have a residue that will rub off on other clothing, furniture and the like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How interesting..... I had to look up Eucalan.
    Well that just sounds like Martha’s wool wash I thought.

This explains the history & gives the recipe.
    http://www.theyarnloop.com/article/m...inse-wool-wash

My Mum would not serve dinner to anyone who dared change the radio station when Martha Gardner was on, we also weren’t allowed to answer the phone lest Mum missed a Martha tip.

When woollens needed to be washed we would just make a batch of wool wash. Usually on a Friday afternoon so School Jumpers could be washed. We’d come home and get told to put our jumpers in the sink (already full of water and wool wash) they got drained after diner and layer on towels to dry over the weekend.

Martha’s is sold in the supermarket here but to this day many of us still make up a batch of wool wash if and when needed.

However.... wool wash has no Lanolin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use eucalan on all my wool sweaters, felted and knitted wool hats, merino base layers, etcetera when they need cleaning. Honestly I can't tell if they're more water resistant after cleaning, but they certainly smell and feel nice. Lanolin won't harm wool, the sheep already figured that one out thousands of years ago so we don't have to. The best part is you don't need to rinse it out, so it's extremely easy to use. Just follow the directions on the label: cool water, minimal agitation, plenty of time to soak, then hang to dry (on a proper hanger!). Honestly I think I've talked myself into doing it, next time I need a kilt washed I'll just do it by hand.

"Dry cleaners hate him - one weird trick from a canuck"

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tweedhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tweedhead View Post
    I use eucalan on all my wool sweaters, felted and knitted wool hats, merino base layers, etcetera when they need cleaning. Honestly I can't tell if they're more water resistant after cleaning, but they certainly smell and feel nice. Lanolin won't harm wool, the sheep already figured that one out thousands of years ago so we don't have to. The best part is you don't need to rinse it out, so it's extremely easy to use. Just follow the directions on the label: cool water, minimal agitation, plenty of time to soak, then hang to dry (on a proper hanger!). Honestly I think I've talked myself into doing it, next time I need a kilt washed I'll just do it by hand.

"Dry cleaners hate him - one weird trick from a canuck"
    I've never heard of Eucalan before, so I gave it a quick google. I'll definitely be purchasing some to wash all of my wool stuff with on occasion.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates