X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1900 Seaforth kilt, plaid, hosetops

I've never seen this before, a set of kilt, plaid, and hosetops all stamped with the soldier's service number, as issued to the soldier, placing the items in 1900.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/British-Boe...p2056016.l4276

For myself, a student of Highland military uniform, the most interesting part is seeing the details of construction of the type of plaid worn by Other Ranks in Full Dress. This is today usually called a "drummers plaid" though in fact it was issued to all soldiers.

Here is the Other Ranks plaid being worn; as you can see there is no fringe, and it is not worn with a brooch or pin, but tied with ribbon to the shoulder, or having a cord loop that goes on the epaulette button.

Last edited by OC Richard; 26th November 19 at 05:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting post - thanks for putting it up there.

I would note that the photo of the confident looking Highlander in the top photo (with the feather bonnet) seems to show the soldier's tunic being pulled back slightly at the neck from the weight of the plaid where it is attached to the shoulder. As an 18th c. reenactor who wears belted plaids, I can assure you that I am familiar with that problem.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too!

It's the advantage of the Officer's style of belted plaid (not the great kilt, the separate military garment under discussion) which has a fairly large triangle of fabric which hangs down the front of the doublet, and the large military brooch: they give some weight in front to help balance the weight in the back.

The Officer's style of belted plaid:

Last edited by OC Richard; 27th November 19 at 09:35 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte