X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilt to church?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a Christian, but from what I've learned and observed the first Christians, including the Jew they worshiped, wore unbifurcated garments. Many clergy today wear unbifurcated regalia.

So, seems no big deal to wear an unbifurcated kilt to a house of Christian worship.

Have worn my kilt to Christian churches for weddings, funerals, and ordinations, and never had anything other than good words about it.

IF - you belong to a church where wearing a kilt would be a problem you're maybe attending the wrong church....FREEDOM!
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worked at 3 different churches in various capacities in the not so distant past, am still working at one now, I have never had an issue wearing the kilt to a church.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 28th November 19 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, the traditional kilt is purely a male garment, so the anti-kilt attitude that one sometimes sees in certain circles is based on misunderstanding.

For myself there's a different principle at work, the idea of attending church being a communion, a uniting of members of the same Body. Coming from this mindset as I do, dressing in such a way that draws attention to myself as an individual (and at the same time drawing attention away from the Body) is something I wouldn't consider doing.

It's the way I was raised, going to church as a kid: everyone's focus should be on what is going on in the worship, not "Oh, look what that man is wearing!"

I found this snippet online that words it fairly well:

Four virtues are commonly included under modesty: humility, studiousness, and two kinds of external modesty, namely in dress and in general behaviour.

On the other hand I think it's cool that we have a couple local Pastors who sometimes preach in Highland Dress, one an American of Scottish descent and the other a Scot. A Pastor's role is to have everyone's attention so that he can facilitate the worship and the kilts certainly seem to give them a leg up (!)

My role as a congregant, as I see it, is to NOT have everyone's attention. The exception of course is when I'm playing the pipes for the service, and the kilt is part of that role just as robes are to the role of the choir members.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th November 19 at 09:43 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one caution I would have here, is that the OP's church and his faith are his and his alone. For any of us to suggest that the attitude or teaching is wrong would be both inappropriate and arrogant.

It's not a form of religion to which I subscribe, but I respect it nonetheless.

We must be careful of two things: that we respect a different point of view, and that we respect Rules 5 and 2. To say that this man's pastor might be 'wrong' is a clear violation of both, and while we may state our personal positions, we must be cautious not to cross those lines. Uninformed on this particular garment perhaps, but even so, it inches close to the lines.

Cheers & Blessings,

Father Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my sons' experience

We started wearing kilts when my boys were small. We attended the Mormon church then which although doctrinally than a baptist church it is a politically conservative church. Many in the congregation said how great they looked but the bishop (the head of the congregation) called them in and told them not to do it again. That isn't church wide though. I have worn it since then especially when traveling and got compliments when I do attend. The difference may be visitors are given a much greater leeway but I know it's not an official ban

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not LDS, but live in LDS country. Have been previous posts on LDS folks being kilted. I've collected pics of LDS men kilted. With their faith's focus on genealogy you'd think kilts would be a most welcomed affirmation.

This from Marty
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear mine occasionally to my church (Presbyterian) especially at Christmas time. It's actually the one place I wear it that no one asks me why I'm wearing it.

Other than that a kilt is a men's garment and most of the anglosphere understands what it is.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Queenslander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I,too, have worn it to church and it's been well received in general. Christmas and occasionally while serving as deacon. Then again, we're a somewhat liberal leaning Protestant church.
    The pastor's wife thought it was fine. Then again she's working on getting the pastor into a Mackenzie kilt.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MarK C View Post
    I'm sure that this question has been beat to death.
    I haven't worn my kilt much.
    Christmas season is coming up.
    At church we have a Christmas Eve night service.
    On this special service, most people dress up. For the most part, people are casual/business casual. I normally wear blue jeans with a nice plaid long sleeve shirt.
    I texted our pastor the other day about the idea. I have yet to hear back. Just a few weeks ago he preached on crossdressing and alternate life styles, and how it aligns with biblical principles. I let him know some of my heritage and how the kilt is a male garment, and how it is different from a woman's skirt.
    We are a non-denominational Bible Church, that leans towards Baptist if it matters.
    I want to wear it, but at the same time, I don't want to be a spectacle, and distract others from why we are really there.
    No one else has ever worn a kilt to church before (we are part of the original church plant). I'm sure there are some that have Celtic backgrounds, but don't show it.
    Thanks for any input.
    MarK C
    There are several of us at St. Mary's Anglican here in Windsor who go kilted to kirk on many Sundays. The upcoming Feast of St. Andrew, 30-NOV-2019, (and the First Sunday of Advent, 1-DEC) means kilted at The Friend's of the Bishop Reception on Saturday and kilted at kirk on Sunday. Wear it like you were born in it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a conservative Christian in a independent church, and I wear a kilt on high holidays as it helps fellow attendees to follow the traditional church calendar (which isn't given much attention in independent protestant churches). St. Andrews day is usually very near the first Sunday of Advent, so I wear heritage of Scotland (Purple being an advent color). For Christmas Eve, I wear my clan Keith kilt in modern colors (dark green/blue). Then for Easter I wear the Freedom tartan as it is pastel colors. I've never received any negative comments. They are either very positive, or asking which tartan is that again?
    Wear it if you want. If the pastor or church council tell you it is inappropriate, don't do it again.
    That is my 2 cents worth.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to bdkilted For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast