X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kilt to church?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting back <gasp!> to Mark C's (the OP) original question ...

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, sir; an infrequent kilt wearer. Our mainstream Lutheran church does a full-on Christmas Eve service -- candlelight, organ, choirs, the works. Like your congre, our attendees tend to spiff out their dress a bit. Several years ago I decided to try my kilt for the evening, with coat and tie etc. Heads turned but I got nothing but fine comments and compliments. Both pastors loved it. One year when my wife was very ill I skipped the kilt for Christmas and had everybody asking where it was.

I highly recommend you choose the kilt for church. You won't regret it.
    "Simplify, and add lightness" -- Colin Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go fer it! If the tartan you want to wear during Christmas has red, white, and green, even better.

I used to see a man dressed in a kilt at Christmastime at the church I grew up going to. Never introduced myself to him but he always looked sharp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear mine to church several times a year, namely for St. Andrews Day, as has been mentioned in this thread, and the Sunday closest to April 6, which is Tartan Day here in South Carolina. I also attend a Presbyterian church, a denomination which regularly features "Kirkins o' the Tartan" services, so the kilt itself is not new to most people. I have never received anything but complements and interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading, fellows, through the OP's comments, what happens at Anglican, Roman, United and Presbyterian type churches has no bearing whatever on his situation. I recognize the style of that church and validate his concerns. Not something our examples can moderate.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234