X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilt to church?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt to church?

I'm sure that this question has been beat to death.
    I haven't worn my kilt much.
    Christmas season is coming up.
    At church we have a Christmas Eve night service.
    On this special service, most people dress up. For the most part, people are casual/business casual. I normally wear blue jeans with a nice plaid long sleeve shirt.
    I texted our pastor the other day about the idea. I have yet to hear back. Just a few weeks ago he preached on crossdressing and alternate life styles, and how it aligns with biblical principles. I let him know some of my heritage and how the kilt is a male garment, and how it is different from a woman's skirt.
    We are a non-denominational Bible Church, that leans towards Baptist if it matters.
    I want to wear it, but at the same time, I don't want to be a spectacle, and distract others from why we are really there.
    No one else has ever worn a kilt to church before (we are part of the original church plant). I'm sure there are some that have Celtic backgrounds, but don't show it.
    Thanks for any input.
    MarK C
    MarK C

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question has been framed very respectfully. I have worn my kilt to church to officiate, to do weddings, to offer the Eucharist, and because I felt like it. I don't think you should have had to explain what the kilt is, but I guess you thought you should and that's okay too.

For what it's worth, cross-dressers, same-sex couples, and other variations on humanity would also be welcome in my church, but what you're describing is a more conservative group than we are.

Good luck with it. If your pastor can't understand it... you probably need a new pastor.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarK C View Post
    Just a few weeks ago he preached on crossdressing and alternate life styles, and how it aligns with biblical principles.
    The kilt has nothing to do with any of this so he could not have been preaching against it.

Also:

Rule #9
    – This forum is not the place for the discussion of cross-dressing.

JohnnyO is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark, at our independent fellowship here in Scotland we pretty much wear what we choose. When you've seen what a couple of Goths count as 'dressing up' for a special service my kilt pales into the background !
    Joking apart, for myself, I just don't see my choosing to wear a traditional half pleated, wrapover skirt as either cross dressing or anyone elses business.
    My sister, a now retired Church of Scotland minister regularly wore her Clergy tartan long skirt and I believe would have been delighted to welcome anyone into her services irrespective of gender or how they chose to dress. Tartan would just have been a bonus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    Rule #9
    – This forum is not the place for the discussion of cross-dressing.
    I wouldn't see this as falling under that rule since the OP has been clear that his concern was that somebody else might see it that way.

Others might feel differently and of course they would be free to flag it, but I just wouldn't personally see it that way.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I wouldn't see this as falling under that rule since the OP has been clear that his concern was that somebody else might see it that way.

Others might feel differently and of course they would be free to flag it, but I just wouldn't personally see it that way.
    I really wouldn't either and I certainly wouldn't flag it. The only reason I brought it up is that someone posted something similar some time ago and got dinged for it. Just trying to prevent such a situation. Apologies if I overstepped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark:

Like Fr. Bill, I am a priest and I wear my kilt to church and church functions regularly.

I would suggest you wear your kilt to church this Sunday, December 1 -- which is the day after St. Andrew's Day.

For two reasons:

1. St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland, and his feast is observed there (and elsewhere) on November 30. Your wearing the kilt would be more clearly about celebrating your Scottish heritage rather than creating a spectacle at Christmas.

2. The reaction you get on December 1 might guide what you prefer to do on Christmas. If you get a good reception, maybe go a little dressier for the greater feast. If you get a poor reception, you may choose not to wear the kilt on Christmas.

Let us know how it goes, either way!

Rodger
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forum Mark.

I am a Presbyterian Minister, serving as a Chaplain at at rather large Retirement Community. I regularly wear one of my kilts to work, and frequently wear a kilt for Worship Services.

This Sunday, December 1, I will be wearing one of my Clergy Tartan kilts as we mark the Feast Day of St. Andrew. I will also wear it on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Several years ago, as a part of a Presbyterian congregation in Philadelphia, myself and other clergy would regularly wear our kilts for the Family Christmas Eve Service - and 3 of us played the roles of the kilted wise men for the Nativity scene. It was always well received.

As revdpatience said, try wearing it this Sunday and see how it goes. Enjoy!

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tom Fiddles For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha, but my dear, dear colleagues, the first Sunday in Advent takes liturgical and ecclesiastical precedence over the Feast of St. Andrew.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevertheless, there is a long custom of subtly commemorating the lesser feast even while observing the greater.

Kilts are not often known as subtle, but I think in this case they would serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Aha, but my dear, dear colleagues, the first Sunday in Advent takes liturgical and ecclesiastical precedence over the Feast of St. Andrew.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast