X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scene 97

As we hurried in the direction of the lake, the trees began to thin, but the terrain became rougher, with large outcroppings of rock channeling our progress.

The two priests kept the creatures of the shadows at bay, but their attacks served to slow us even more.

Then we heard the howls.

“What’s that?” James asked, the fear obvious on his face.

Father David glanced quickly at Father Trefor, who listened carefully before nodding. “I’m afraid it is not good news. Those are werewolves.”

I listened more closely. “They’re in front of us.”

Father David nodded. “They seek to block our path.” New howls came from behind us. “And any retreat, as well.”

“Can you keep them back?” I asked.

Father Trefor shook his head. “No, they are cursed humans, not creatures of necromancy.”

“What does that mean?”

Father David looked worried. “It means that we need other tools to stop them, tools we do not have. We can only hope to avoid them.”

“How, they’re blocking our path.”

“Indeed, they are.” He quickly looked around for another path and then pointed to our right. “There, we can go that way.”

We all moved in the direction he indicated. The path took us over the rocks and through narrow passes. Even moving as quickly as we could, the howls were coming closer.

We passed through a narrow gap and the terrain opened up in front of us. The lake could be seen ahead. Unfortunately, it sounded as though the wolves were almost upon us.

Looking back, I could see that Gerald had stopped and turned around. I stopped as well and called back to him. “Gerald, come on! We’ll be there soon!”

“Keep moving!” he answered. “We can’t outrun them. You’re only hope is if I face them.”

“Gerald, there are too many! You can’t stop them all!” Father David told him.

Gerald took a deep breath, as if readying himself. “If I meet them at the gap, only a few at a time can attack me.” He paused for a moment. “And I release the beast.”

“Gerald, no!” Father Trefor cried with horror.

“I have to Father. It’s the only way David can continue. He has to succeed.”

“But Gerald,” Father Trefor started, but Gerald cut him off.

“Get him out of here, David! Once I release the beast, I may not be able to control it. You’re all in danger if stay here.”

We grabbed Father Trefor, but he resisted. “Gerald!” he pleaded.

Gerald looked back at him and we could see the tears in his eyes. “I’m sorry, Father. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me.” The young man started to transform, but this time he continued to grow, far beyond his normal dog form, beyond that of a wolf, until he was the size of a large bear.

“Go!” he commanded, and we could see him struggling to maintain control.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davedove For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scene 98

We left the sounds of animalistic slaughter behind us and moved as quickly as we could in the direction of the lake. As we crested the hill, we were brought up short by the scene before us.

The valley that we had to cross was filled with creatures, all of them walking on two feet like a man, but far from human. These were creatures that could only be described as lizard men.

“What are those!” James choked out.

“They look like something from a movie, something evolved on another world,” I answered.

“How will we get through them?” Father David asked. “There are too many.”

“And too far to go around,” I replied. “There must be hundreds of them.”

“So, we give up?” James asked.

“We can’t! Too much depends on this. Too many people have sacrificed everything to get us here. We have to get through them somehow.”

At that moment, the sound of a horn being blown drew our attention. On the hills around us, hundreds of men suddenly stood. These men were all primitive in appearance, almost bestial, and they all were wielding spears and clubs.

“Where did they come from?” asked Father David.

“A friend,” I replied and pointed to the central figure. There, riding atop what could only be described as a triceratops, was Ron, blowing his horn and holding his spear high above his head.
    Ron blew the horn again and thrust his spear forward. As one, the horde of men charged down the hillside toward the lizard men.

The two forces met in bloody combat, both men and lizard men fighting, killing, and dying.

But as we watched, it became apparent that the men were directing the battle, forcing the lizard men to part.

“There, that’s our route!” I said. “Let’s go!”

But as we started, Father Trefor held back.

I turned back to him. “Trefor?”

The priest shook his head. “I can’t go with you, David. I have to go back.”

“What do you mean? You know what Gerald said. He won’t be able to control himself.”

“I have to try, David. I’ve watched him for years, helped him through his struggles. He’s like a son to me, David. I can’t abandon him now, just when he needs me most!”

“Trefor, I can’t just…”

“David, I have to! You have your mission. Go! Complete it. Save the worlds, all of them. I will just slow you down. But I can help him. I have to do this! I have to try to save a young man’s soul.”

“But Trefor, it’s too dangerous to go alone!”

Father David interrupted. “He won’t be alone!” When we turned to look at him, he continued. “What about it, old friend? We do this together, just like the old times.”

“There’s no one I would rather have at my side, my friend. Thank you,” said Trefor.

Father David turned back to me. “Go, David. Your friend has made a path for you. May God be with you, my brother.”

I looked back and forth between the two men and then nodded. “God be with you too. Come on. James! We have a mission to complete.”
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to davedove For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scene 99

We ran down the path that Ron and his forces had cleared for us. Occasionally a lizard man would move to attack us, only to be blocked by one of the wild men helping us. The battle was brutal and bloody, but we passed through unharmed.

Cresting the hill, we stopped short as we saw another group of lizard men ahead of us. Over a hundred of the creatures blocked our path and were heading our way.

James and I frantically looked for an escape route, when suddenly the escape came to us.

Sounds of gunfire and energy weapons erupted from behind the lizard men, who turned to face the new threat. Some of them rushed to attack the new danger, only to be cut down by the devastating weapons.

A small group of men rushed to us and the leader greeted us in his French accent. “Mr. Dove, good, we got to you!” Robert proclaimed. “Hurry! We must get you to the Lady Chrystel! She waits for us at the shore. Where are the rest of your group?”

He must have seen my sad expression. “I’m sorry,” he said, “but we have to time to mourn now. We must hurry!”

We let Robert and his men lead us down the hill and across the beach. There, at a small dock, was his ship.

“On board, quickly!” he ordered. “The forces of the Inquisition are on their way. We must get you across the lake!”

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davedove For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234