X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from North Carolina! Question about Tartan!

Good Morning! New member, thanks for the add. Got my first kilt coming from the Atlanta Kilt Company. My last name is Lail (German), but my Grandparents were both MacNeil, and McQueen. Since I'm not like officially a clansmen, but love my history, is it considered bad taste to wear the Tartan of my folks?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a very few poorly informed or misinformed individuals would be offended by you wearing those tartans. Traditionally, stick to male decendency as much as possible, but it's generally considered to be fair game to deviate to the distaff side as needed.

Go for it, and welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I did, being MacNeil (actually Mcneilly), but ran that name back to the correct surname. Seems to be lots of info out there about the MacNeils of Barra, not so much with the McQueen's.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada 🇨🇦!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    Since I'm not like officially a clansmen, but love my history, is it considered bad taste to wear the Tartan of my folks?
    It's not considered in bad taste. Many of us on this forum are in a similar situation.

It's my understanding that the Scottish tend to get a tartan for one clan (generally up the paternal line, but exceptions exist). In the U.S., there's a greater tendency for people to acquire multiple kilts to cover multiple clans. There's not a magic rule that you're obligated to follow.

Welcome to the forum.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

JohnnyO is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning! New member, thanks for the add. Got my first kilt coming from the Atlanta Kilt Company. My last name is Lail (German), but my Grandparents were both MacNeil, and McQueen. Since I'm not like officially a clansmen, but love my history, is it considered bad taste to wear the Tartan of my folks?
    Wear it, enjoy it, bring credit to it ... it's what a lot of us here in Scotland do.

JohnnyO.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the MacKay tartan, after my maternal grandmother. My father's side is all German and southern England. I have yet to have anyone ask me to explain why I chose the tartan I did. Since I was planning to purchase a kilt anyway, I thought it would be most appropriate to use a tartan I had some connection to as opposed to one I have zero connection with. Just my .02 on that.

Also, welcome from a fellow North Carolinian (western end)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianHighlander View Post
    I wear the MacKay tartan, after my maternal grandmother. My father's side is all German and southern England. I have yet to have anyone ask me to explain why I chose the tartan I did. Since I was planning to purchase a kilt anyway, I thought it would be most appropriate to use a tartan I had some connection to as opposed to one I have zero connection with. Just my .02 on that.

Also, welcome from a fellow North Carolinian (western end)!
    We're close! I'M in WNC too!

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the eastern end.

Stoff

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I did, being MacNeil (actually Mcneilly), but ran that name back to the correct surname. Seems to be lots of info out there about the MacNeils of Barra, not so much with the McQueen's.
    In another thread of yours, Rlail, I think you will find (or have access to) quite a bit on the Macqueens of the Central Highland, and I may be able to help you with what you have trouble with. For the West Coast Macqueens you had best refer to the Macdonald genealogies and genealogical sources -- and there are many. A few of these I can help you with, as well, but only as they directly relate to the Central Highlands.

If you don't know your specific Highland origins this will be a life-long challenge. But, I am told by many who have been at it far longer that you have, its a wonderful trip back through time and discoveries beyond imagine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast