X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    The Macqueens are were my descendants hail from. How would they determine a new Chief, not having one? And from the little I've read, it seems like this has gone on for awhile, so it that not really of concern?
    The present Lord Lyon is very much in favour of finding chiefs for those clans without them. In the case of the Central Highland Macqueens that could be a fairly simple process, given that there were relatively few families and the main branch being the Corriebrough one. If the line has not completely died out, that is. The Macqueens here were/are also called Clan Revan, and are descended from Revan macMilmoir vic Swen, who came out of Moidart with Mora nian Ranald when she married Malcolm 10th of Mackintosh about 1410. We believe their first home was in Petty and it wasn't until mid-16C that they acquired Little Corriebrough and, later, other lands to the east of the Findhorn. It was at this time that they were considered a 'clan' within the Clan Chattan. The whole estate had to be sold early in the 19C.

Of course, there were many more Macqueens in the West than in the Central Highlands.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recent paper on the so-called Crubin Plaid has relevance to those interested in things Clan Chattan.

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12