X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chattan Confederacy

How did the Chatham Confederacy work? Did all the smaller clans report to the larger? If there's no recognized Chief in a confederacy clan, how does that work?

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the Clan Chattan confederacy? If so, the closest you may get in pronunciation is 'hattan'.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    How did the Chatham Confederacy work? Did all the smaller clans report to the larger? If there's no recognized Chief in a confederacy clan, how does that work?
    Yes, sorry, I was trying to spell from memory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that the other 10(?) clans in the federation came out of the Catti tribe that Malcolm the 1st allowed to settle in Scotland around 1100AD a Celtic tribe from the low lands of Europe. From what I've seen lately, it doesn't actually function, as I was a member for a while, but haven't received any information in several years.
    IF I remember what I read a while back the chief of McIntosh or McPherson are considered the head of the federation. Who exactly is the head depends on which clan you recognize. At least they are feuding...
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The theory about Chattan origins in the Catti was debunked several years ago, although it is obviously still being circulated.

The present Clan Chattan chief is Mackintosh of Torcastle (Macgillichattan Mor), a New Zealand resident, recognised as such by Lord Lyon. By private arrangement he is represented by John Mackintosh of Mackintosh, 30th chief of the Mackintoshes and President of the Clan Chattan Association.

The CCA is an active Scottish Association with international membership. Vice Presidents of the Association include Captain AAC Farquharson, 16th of Invercauld; The Hon. Sir William Macpherson 27th of Cluny TD; Very Revered Allan Maclean 21st of Dochgarroch; James H McBain 22nd of McBain; Andrew PC MacThomas 19th of Finegand; Grant Guthrie Davidson 3rd of Davidston; Iain Shaw 23rd of Tordarroch; Iain Macgillivray. All are chiefs of constituent clans within the Confederation with the sole exception of Iain Macgillivray, who is Commander of the Clan Macgillivray. There are three additional clans, the Macphails of Inverarnie, Macqueens of Corriebrough and Macintyres (in Badenoch) presently without chiefs.

There were earlier claims by both Mackintosh and Macpherson chiefs to the chiefship of the whole. This issue was resolved about ninety years ago. The Macphersons are descended from the Old Clan Chattan of Lochaber, the Mackintoshes from the Clan Chattan heiress, Eva, and her marriage to Angus, 6th of Mackintosh in the late 13C. These claims were political in nature and reinforced by Earls of Huntly for the former, and Earls of Moray for the latter; there has never been a feud between the two wings of Clan Chattan.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 6th December 19 at 06:14 PM.

7. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the original poster: Would you like one of us to correct the spelling in the topic title?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    To the original poster: Would you like one of us to correct the spelling in the topic title?
    Please! Or did I need to? Will it allow me to edit it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    Please! Or did I need to? Will it allow me to edit it?
    Nope, but I can do that with my Super-Moderator powers!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    The theory about Chattan origins in the Catti was debunked several years ago, although it is obviously still being circulated.

The present Clan Chattan chief is Mackintosh of Torcastle (Macgillichattan Mor), a New Zealand resident, recognised as such by Lord Lyon. By private arrangement he is represented by John Mackintosh of Mackintosh, 30th chief of the Mackintoshes and President of the Clan Chattan Association.

The CCA is an active Scottish Association with international membership. Vice Presidents of the Association include Captain AAC Farquharson, 16th of Invercauld; The Hon. Sir William Macpherson 27th of Cluny TD; Very Revered Allan Maclean 21st of Dochgarroch; James H McBain 22nd of McBain; Andrew PC MacThomas 19th of Finegand; Grant Guthrie Davidson 3rd of Davidston; Iain Shaw 23rd of Tordarroch; Iain Macgillivray. All are chiefs of constituent clans within the Confederation with the sole exception of Iain Macgillivray, who is Commander of the Clan Macgillivray. There are three additional clans, the Macphails of Inverarnie, Macqueens of Corriebrough and Macintyres (in Badenoch) presently without chiefs.

There were earlier claims by both Mackintosh and Macpherson chiefs to the chiefship of the whole. This issue was resolved about ninety years ago. The Macphersons are descended from the Old Clan Chattan of Lochaber, the Mackintoshes from the Clan Chattan heiress, Eva, and her marriage to Angus, 6th of Mackintosh in the late 13C. These claims were political in nature and reinforced by Earls of Huntly for the former, and Earls of Moray for the latter; there has never been a feud between the two wings of Clan Chattan.
    The Macqueens are were my descendants hail from. How would they determine a new Chief, not having one? And from the little I've read, it seems like this has gone on for awhile, so it that not really of concern?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Nope, but I can do that with my Super-Moderator powers!
    Thank you!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Rlail For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast