X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    All of the above, really! Everything from Rabbits, Apples, to mistique. and I dropped the Dubh just for shorthands sake. A dirk, it would seem to me, is poorly suited to most outdoor work, The Sgain would clean animals better, I think. The Dirk seems long enough to be too awkward for most purposes
    Indeed yes! The traditional SD was actually designed as a tool first------mainly for eating with (before knives and forks became common place) and to hack off a chunk of meat or bread and then stab the proceeds to put it near the mouth------and if things got desperate enough to use as a weapon. A brick, cricket bat, a length of pipe or, even ones teeth would do equally well as a weapon in dire need. One only needs to look at the construction of a traditional SD to see that it is not designed as some sort of Ninja fighting knife and speaking from personal experience its not much use for dressing out rabbits or deer either, but, BUT it will do if needs be. The blade is the wrong shape and the handle fixing is not up to heavy work.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th December 19 at 06:34 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Indeed yes! The traditional SD was actually designed as a tool first------mainly for eating with (before knives and forks became common place) and to hack off a chunk of meat or bread and then stab the proceeds to put it near the mouth------and if things got desperate enough to use as a weapon. A brick, cricket bat, a length of pipe or, even ones teeth would do equally well as a weapon in dire need. One only needs to look at the construction of a traditional SD to see that it is not designed as some sort of Ninja fighting knife and speaking from personal experience its not much use for dressing out rabbits or deer either, but, BUT it will do if needs be. The blade is the wrong shape and the handle fixing is not up to heavy work.
    Hmmmm, thanks. Maybe a stag handle skinning knife would go with the asthetics, and be more suitable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything from Rabbits, Apples, to mistique. and I dropped the Dubh just for shorthands sake. A dirk, it would seem to me, is poorly suited to most outdoor work, The Sgain would clean animals better, I think. The Dirk seems long enough to be too awkward for most purposes
    Most modern sgian dubhs aren't designed for solid, heavy-duty work. They're cheap, unsharpened blades with nice hilt. They can't slice an apple. I paid extra to get one that has a nice blade (and consequently, a very nice hilt). It was expensive enough that I'm not going to be carving up animals with it. (Not as a first choice, at least.)

If I want a nice-looking knife to dress a rabbit, I have a nice, highly functional, hunting knife with a beautiful hilt. That way, the blade is the correct shape and size.

Moreover, unless I'm wearing traditional kilt hose with some sort of garter, a sgian dubh is really inconvenient to carry. My pocket knife folds down to one third of the length, is less than half the width and thickness, and it has a convenient clip on it which will clip onto almost anything (a belt, the kilt apron, even kilt hose). It will also fit into very small pockets. My sgian dubh has an overall length in excess of 8". It doesn't fit into most pockets. It doesn't fit into my sporrans. The sheath isn't designed to attach to anything. It's designed to lie flat along the outside of my calf.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading these exchanges reminds me of my days as a Scout in the late 60s-early 70s. The Scouts in Scotland encouraged the wearing of the kilt as part of the uniform and many of us wore a kilt for normal Scout activities - but never a sgian dubh. Rather it was normal to have a respectable sheath-knife on one's belt. I can remember the knife I had - it had a blade of 4.5 to 5 inches and a hilt of compressed leather rings - it was made in Sheffield by a company called Wm Rodgers and as far as I was concerned it was the real deal. In fact I could take you to the field near Shawhead in Dumfriesshire where I lost it - it's probably still there under the turf.

I doubt if there was ever any evidence of Boy Scouts being habitual menaces with their knives, but it seems the Law in the UK now frowns on such knives and such casual wearing of them - in public at least. But back in those days it was just the normal done thing and we thought we looked pretty cool with our knives on our belts with our kilts.

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Dr Bee For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
    Reading these exchanges reminds me of my days as a Scout in the late 60s-early 70s. The Scouts in Scotland encouraged the wearing of the kilt as part of the uniform and many of us wore a kilt for normal Scout activities - but never a sgian dubh. Rather it was normal to have a respectable sheath-knife on one's belt. I can remember the knife I had - it had a blade of 4.5 to 5 inches and a hilt of compressed leather rings - it was made in Sheffield by a company called Wm Rodgers and as far as I was concerned it was the real deal. In fact I could take you to the field near Shawhead in Dumfriesshire where I lost it - it's probably still there under the turf.

I doubt if there was ever any evidence of Boy Scouts being habitual menaces with their knives, but it seems the Law in the UK now frowns on such knives and such casual wearing of them - in public at least. But back in those days it was just the normal done thing and we thought we looked pretty cool with our knives on our belts with our kilts.

Sorry state the worlds in nowadays. What you posted is probably what I'll do, just use a good fixed blade on a belt sheath, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^Definetly! I don't plan on using hose and Brogan's for casual wear, more like boots. The Sgain is just a knife, no different than a boot dagger, really. No disrespect meant, I was just going for function
    If it’s just for function and you’re not worried about whether the knife is worn traditionally, I would recommend just sticking a folding knife in your sporran or pocket (if wearing a utkilt). Or have a fixed blade on a belt or in a backpack.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether kilted or not, in the woods I generally carry a daypack or smaller pack with a water bladder. Depending on the environs and other clothing options I would carry the knife in the pack or under arm holster carry (if wearing a jacket) to keep from worrying the 'normal' folk or if I am out n' about somewhere that I am more likely to run into similar minded folks I would belt carry, either dangler or ranger style, or on my pack strap. I would personally rather carry the right knife(or knives) for the right job. Having said that, if wearing a trad kilt I would personally always carry a non-sgian out of sight unless I were truly in the backcountry, then i would wear it under arm holster

I daresay you will have more options in your carry style if you are wearing a utility style rather than 'traditional' kilt without offending the traditionalists. Heck, you have already offended some by wearing a utility 'kilt' so what you do aside from that is just more of the same.

There was a listing on the e -bay of a sporran that had a small crossdraw knife integrated into the flap but I am unable to locate the picture. It may have even made an appearance here as well.

I found these online but again, not really a fan of that option as I don't think it would ride well, poking up etc. Also doesn't look like the knife you want for skinning etc.
    http://redfalconproducts.com/product...-knife-sheath/
    Last edited by bodhran4me; 10th December 19 at 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot the link

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry state the worlds in nowadays. What you posted is probably what I'll do, just use a good fixed blade on a belt sheath, thanks.
    You are on the right track, Rlail. These are three knives I, personally, use often.

The one on the left is a Russel made in Canada. This is a small version in their range, but I find it adequate for most things. The middle is a Buck with a 3.5-inch blade and therefore within most restrictions; it's convenient and unobtrusive in its sheath. On the right is the sgian dubh I usually have in my hose and,. I've not show the little Swiss I always have in my pocket or sporran -- for the corkscrew. I keep them all razor sharp and each has an obvious usefulness, including the sgian. In other words, don't overthink this thing: choose the tool that's right for the task.

Edit: I should add, I suppose, that my sgian (ban) of file steel, bone and brass, has often been used to skin a rabbit, fillet a fish, cut a twig and pare an apple. It has also been used to slice rope, cut plastic ties, stir a hare stew. It has never been used to gralloch a stag.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 10th December 19 at 07:46 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post

This was my dad in 1950 in Blackburn north of Aberdeen in his Scout uniform. I'll have to ask him about the knife.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one wear a pocket knife with a Kilt? In the Sporran? Or stick with the Sgain Dubh? And if the Sgain, and you're not wearing the socks, kind of casual with boots, where do you put the Sgain Dubh?
    I don't have a sgian dubh and have carried a pocket-knife with me since I was 12 so now I carry it in my sporran.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast