X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pocket Knife with Kilt

How does one wear a pocket knife with a Kilt? In the Sporran? Or stick with the Sgain Dubh? And if the Sgain, and you're not wearing the socks, kind of casual with boots, where do you put the Sgain Dubh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're wearing a sgian dubh in your hose top, then there's likely no need for a pocket knife (unless your sgian is one of those "safety sgians"...). If you're not wearing a sgian, then stick your pocket knife in your sporran.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a combination pipe tool on the opposite end of my watch chain from the watch. It has a blade on it. I keep an opinel in my pants pocket, or my sporran while kilted. I dont really do the modern "Dressed down" scrunched sock thing. Its just in poor taste,(like a good 90% of modern fashion) and not of a benefit to us as a culture IMHO.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your pocket knife have a belt clip? If so, you can clip it onto your belt. If I'm not wearing a belt or kilt hose, I'll clip my pocket knife to the inside apron of the kilt (it's a low-profile pocket knife). If you're wearing a vest or jacket with pockets, that's another obvious option. Alternatively, inside the sporran is another good choice.

If I'm wearing kilt hose, the sgian dubh replaces the pocket knife.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the sghian if I need a knife, but for all the other tools, it's in my sporran.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry one of the smaller editions of the 'Swiss Army Knife' in my pocket at all times and whatever I am wearing. When kilted it will be in my weskit pocket on the starboard end of my watch-chain or, if I want to wear my wrist-watch instead, the knife will be in my sporran. The little knife is a utility tool , useful for all sorts of things. The sgian is regarded by most people as an ornamental weapon and hereabouts while the Law tolerates me wearing one, it frowns upon me drawing it out in public for any purpose. I frequently wear my kilt to Church and, the Law notwithstanding, I have never worn the sgian at Church because of its association with weaponry.

While I have never worn anything other than gartered hose with my kilt, I guess if I were to wear loose hose rumpled round my ankles then I simply wouldn't wear a sgian dubh, but this is not a look I have plans to experiment with.
    Last edited by Dr Bee; 7th December 19 at 03:42 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dr Bee For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I,too, put the pocket knife (Victorinox Swiss Army) in the sporran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I was asking where else you could wear a Sgain. Like if you didn't wear the hose

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    I guess I was asking where else you could wear a Sgain. Like if you didn't wear the hose

My thought? You couldn't. Sorry.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, thanks anyway

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast