X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army pipers uniform, RRS (part 2)

Quite new and very detailed dress regulations of RRS Pipes and Drums, with lot of pictures.

https://www.theroyalregimentofscotla...egs-Part-2.pdf
    Last edited by blackwatch70; 16th December 19 at 02:28 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to blackwatch70 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool to see so much detail.

There are definitely some things that leap out as odd to me.

One is the revival of the old 1970s MOD short (14") horsehair sporrans, with the clumsy-looking chrome cantles, for the drummers of 2, 3, and 4 SCOTS. Why? The generic RRS sporrans worn by the drummers of 7SCOTS look much better.

Another is that the use of standard 20th century civilian crossbelt, waistbelt, and cantle hardware:

Pattern #355 crossbelt hardware: PM and Pipers of 1SCOTS
    Pattern #102 crossbelt and waistbelt hardware: PM 3SCOTS
    Cast Top thistle sporran cantle: Pipers 1SCOTS

Also interesting that 7SCOTS' pipers use the old crossbelt hardware worn by pipers of the Cameron Highlanders since the 1840s, and retained by the pipers of 4SCOTS. (There's also a c1900 photo of the PM of the Scottish Rifles wearing that pattern, including a portrait waistbelt buckle.)

I am surprised that they've not yet gone with a generic RRS piper's kit for all the Pipes & Drums. A while back I talked to an RRS piper who told me that that day is surely coming. I do hope that when that day comes they go with Royal Stewart kilts and plaids for the pipers.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st December 19 at 06:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Another is that the use of standard 20th century civilian crossbelt, waistbelt, and cantle hardware:

Pattern #355 crossbelt hardware: PM and Pipers of 1SCOTS
    Pattern #102 crossbelt and waistbelt hardware: PM 3SCOTS
    This has been standard since about 70s of the 20th century in the Royal Scots and the Black Watch accordingly.

Cast Top thistle sporran cantle: Pipers 1SCOTS - it is inherited from KOSB pipers, if you look carefully you will see KOSB badge ('the dog and bonnet') on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

One is the revival of the old 1970s MOD short (14") horsehair sporrans, with the clumsy-looking chrome cantles, for the drummers of 2, 3, and 4 SCOTS. Why? The generic RRS sporrans worn by the drummers of 7SCOTS look much better.
    I think this is not a revival but as well as pipers, drummers just inherited those sporrans from legacy regiments P&Ds (RHF, Black Watch and the Highlanders )...
    piece of history...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed looking at the link. Even though I would never wear full military, not having been in the military, this was very helpful seeing how full regalia is properly worn.

Dave

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwatch70 View Post
    This has been standard since about 70s of the 20th century in the Royal Scots and the Black Watch accordingly.
    It's interesting how the BW PM's crossbelt has changed over the years.

Here's PM Anderson (1963-1975) wearing the #355 pattern

His successor, PM Dippie (1975-1983) and his successor PM Rafferty (1983-1990) wore bespoke BW hardware, done in the same outline/shape as the plain sheet metal hardware worn by BW pipers since Victorian times (seen at right) but cast metal, covered with Celtic knotwork (seen at left)

A group photo from 1993 shows PM Brown (1990-1995) wearing the #102 hardware, but PM Small (1995-1998) wearing the hardware PM Dippie is wearing above.

This photo, I believe in Hong Kong in 1997, shows PM Small wearing the #102 hardware the BW PMs have worn ever since

Last edited by OC Richard; 26th December 19 at 08:26 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look at PM Alistair Duthie, 2004, wearing the #355 pattern with very unusual and "Black Watch specific" cross belt tip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMDutie2004.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	37990
    Last edited by blackwatch70; 27th December 19 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting! So they've gone back to the #355 worn by Anderson back in the day!

What a tip...doesn't really go, does it?

The Gordon Highlanders' solution was to solder a sphinx in the centre of the buckle, on their PM's #355 hardware:

About the Black Watch PM's familiar #102, it was also worn by the PM of the Argylls (on the crossbelt, the waistbelt buckle is another standard old civilian pattern)

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th December 19 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please look at this photo (1993) where 3 acting Pipe-Majors of Black Watch wear 3 different crossbelt furnitures
    In this year Alexander Brown was the PM of 1st Black Watch and he wears #102-pattern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BWpms1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	38123
    Last edited by blackwatch70; 28th January 20 at 01:59 AM.