X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MacPherson's of Edinburgh

I recently got a kilt made by MacPherson's of Edinburgh. A cousin of mine had one made there over fifty years ago, and he was the only reference I had for my first visit to that city. The shop is a good taxi ride outside of the city center, well off of the Royal Mile, which I took as evidence of authenticity. I had called several weeks before our trip and spoken to the owner, Alison, the granddaughter of the founder of the shop, Hugh MacPherson. She is a delightful person, and evidently an involved citizen and councillor for her neighborhood.

It seems that the operation had its day in the 50's and 60's, and she keeps up a nominal business, outsourcing kilt-making to independent and local makers, one of whom is in her nineties and had begun with Hugh Macpherson many decades ago. I received my kilt about 3 1/2 months later, and many entertaining phone calls besides. There was no hurry, and it was interesting getting to know what seemed like a very local business.

I'd like to hear any other experiences with MacPherson's.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to deervin77 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome

Can't offer any information on Macpherson's, but it sounds like you purchased the genuine article. Good for you and welcome to the Rabble. Since you're in South Carolina, we will expect to see you at the Stone Mountain Games next fall.

Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada 🇨🇦!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rounding out the kit

Followed up with a great vintage RW Forsyth leather sporran off of eBay, day jacket from Kinloch Anderson, House of Cheviot socks and flashes.

Formal wear, vintage Kinloch Anderson Sporran from the Ministry of Tartan (John-Henry of MoT is great to work with).

Had a great time at several events.
    Last edited by deervin77; 18th December 19 at 10:47 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to deervin77 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to you posting pix of your get-up.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands. Hope your purchase is living up to expectations, and look forward to seeing pictures.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a second-hand, much-altered kilt made by MacPherson's in Kennedy ancient. Based on the wear and the tags, I'd suggest it was made in the 1980s or even earlier. It's a beat-around kilt but still holding up well and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by deervin77 View Post
    I recently got a kilt made by MacPherson's of Edinburgh. A cousin of mine had one made there over fifty years ago, and he was the only reference I had for my first visit to that city. The shop is a good taxi ride outside of the city center, well off of the Royal Mile, which I took as evidence of authenticity. I had called several weeks before our trip and spoken to the owner, Alison, the granddaughter of the founder of the shop, Hugh MacPherson. She is a delightful person, and evidently an involved citizen and councillor for her neighborhood.

It seems that the operation had its day in the 50's and 60's, and she keeps up a nominal business, outsourcing kilt-making to independent and local makers, one of whom is in her nineties and had begun with Hugh Macpherson many decades ago. I received my kilt about 3 1/2 months later, and many entertaining phone calls besides. There was no hurry, and it was interesting getting to know what seemed like a very local business.

I'd like to hear any other experiences with MacPherson's.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, deervin, from Inverness-shire and British Columbia.

I knew Hugh quite well in the sixties and seventies, when he had his shop in Maitland Street, Edinburgh, and was Lord Provost. What I recall is that he bought the shop on his return from Canada where, I believe, both his daughters were born. Hugh was born in Sutherland (Rodart?) but his parents took him to Ontario, as I recall. He partnered with his brother in a Scottish import business in Toronto for some time, and, when back in Scotland became a major source for Highland wear and Scots-made pipes for his brother's ongoing business. At some time he bought out pipemaker Sinclair, but I think sold that part of the business back to a descendant in the late sixties. He was a believer in the last and sadly failing world of tartan weaving in Scotland and sent many (through him and with no profit to him) to DC Dalgleish in The Borders.

His two daughters inherited the business when Hugh and then Jean died; Sheila emigrated to Australia with her husband (a piper and footballer) and Jean (on now to Alison) took over the Maitland Street shop. And moved it, I believe.

Hugh was a staunch and prominent member of the Clan Chattan and Clan Macpherson Societies, a Councillor and then Lord Provost in Edinburgh. He loved to travel and wrote a wee book (I have an autographed copy) entitled 'The Wandering Highlander'.

But, look at these! Hugh was also famous for his gold and ivory pipes. Made for him by his own company; they were eventually sold by his family through Bonhams for GBP 9,000 in 2012.

Sorry -- I don't know who bought them or where they may be hanging on some wall today. A bit of research by the pipers among us may reveal that.

Last edited by ThistleDown; 17th December 19 at 09:29 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I began piping in London, Ontario in 1958, Hugh MacPherson imports was the main source of highland dress and accessories in southern Ontario. His shop was located in St. Catherines, Ontario, in the Niagara peninsula, but he sold a lot, probably mostly, by mail order. In 1959, I got my first kilt from him, a medium-weight modern MacKenzie pleated to the sett--the wages from my part-time job didn't extend to a heavy-weight kilt. The kilt was made in Scotland, and I waited some 10 or 12 weeks for it. I still have it and still wear it, although it has a small, repaired tear in one of the pleats (the result of my carelessly catching it on a metal highway barrier some 50-odd years ago) and a small moth hole at the bottom of another pleat. Otherwise, it's as good as new. I also still have the Gordon Highlanders officers pattern sgian dubh and the beige balmoral I bought from him in the same era. I was never able to visit the shop and did all my shopping from the price lists he mailed out on request. Hugh MacPherson also sold bagpipes under his name, although these were manufactured by the well-known and respected William Sinclair bagpipes company, which he had bought (and later sold back to Sinclair). MacPherson bagpipes from the 1950s and '60s are much sought after these days.

18. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Followed up with a great vintage RW Forsyth leather sporran off of eBay, day jacket from Kinloch Anderson, House of Cheviot socks and flashes.

Formal wear, vintage Kinloch Anderson Sporran from the Ministry of Tartan (John-Henry of MoT is great to work with).
    I love all your choices! I'm a huge vintage fan, and Ministry Of Tartan is a wonderful source.

Had a great time at several events.
    And that's the best thing of all! Cheers and welcome!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

20. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast