X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kearnold02 View Post
    I am researching garb from that period and not having any luck as to what a Lowland or a Highland Scot would wear. The modern kilt sold at so many stores? A Great kilt? Trews?

My wife is interested in joining a Jane Austin group here in Ohio and we would probably dress as Scotts.

Any help to photos, links, etc. Would be a huge help.
    Here are some images of Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832), a Lowlander/Borderer:

Last edited by Bruce Scott; 19th December 19 at 01:32 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wonder what aspect of the clothing that was being worn at the time was the tartan pattern. Did the women just wear a sash or was it a skirt or an entire outfit? Did the men just wear a waistcoat. A kilt? Trues? I honestly have not found any indicators of a Tartan being worn with the Regency style of dress.
    You need to bear in mind that during the Regency era Highland Dress was essentially dressing up clothing for most, not something worn every day. It's unlikely that anyone, certainly not a Lowlander, would have worn the kilt or trews as everyday garb. Ditto women wearing a sash. If a woman wore a tartan skirt or suit it would have been something fashionable but in tartan, forget any clan affiliation.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am researching garb from that period and not having any luck as to what a Lowland or a Highland Scot would wear. The modern kilt sold at so many stores? A Great kilt? Trews?

My wife is interested in joining a Jane Austin group here in Ohio and we would probably dress as Scotts.

Any help to photos, links, etc. Would be a huge help.
    Not meaning to be rude here, but how much do you know about this particular period and historical clothing, in general? If you want to do it right, you’ll need to throw out your misconceptions and start from scratch. Do the research and do it right.

Otherwise you’ll likely end up as so many have: wearing a completely outlandish tartan outfit including an anachronistic kilt, with your partner wearing a mass- produced modern tartan sash.

Also, FYI- Scots are the people group. Scott is a surname.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear that this might seem rather scornful and offputting to what was a perfectly reasonable question from someone seeking information, having made the assumption that the modern 'national dress' was derived directly from a historical one.

Having made what study I have been able of manners and society, as well as dress, and the miserable as well as amazing lives people led both within or despite of the constraints placed upon them it is no wonder that there are surprises when starting out to assume the persona of someone who was living over 200 years ago.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12