X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$50 Day Sporran Suggestions

Okay Lads..

Looking for a few good suggestions for a good day style black sporran for round the $50USD price mark. Few things on eBay that look good in the photo's. But I think my be a tad disappointing in the flesh. Always hard to know with eBay gear I find.

I have a really nice dress sporran so just looking for a plain black leather sporran. Not interested in the semi dress style of sporrans. I am based in Australian so try hard not to shop in British pounds as the exchange rate is not in my favour. Also shipping can be a deal breaker but not always. Looked at second hand sporran's but they seem thin on the ground and mostly boys sizes.

So plain black sporran with not too many bells a whistles. From a online shop or ebay not in UK pounds with good shipping rates..

Any suggestion's ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sporran.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	37981

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may find this discussion helpful:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...s-money-93109/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Dingo View Post
    Okay Lads..

Looking for a few good suggestions for a good day style black sporran for round the $50USD price mark. Few things on eBay that look good in the photo's. But I think my be a tad disappointing in the flesh. Always hard to know with eBay gear I find.

I have a really nice dress sporran so just looking for a plain black leather sporran. Not interested in the semi dress style of sporrans. I am based in Australian so try hard not to shop in British pounds as the exchange rate is not in my favour. Also shipping can be a deal breaker but not always. Looked at second hand sporran's but they seem thin on the ground and mostly boys sizes.

So plain black sporran with not too many bells a whistles. From a online shop or ebay not in UK pounds with good shipping rates..

Any suggestion's ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sporran.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	37981
    EBay for a high-quality, traditional day sporran at a low price. See the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    You may find this discussion helpful:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...s-money-93109/
    Okay, I did see this older thread but most of the links are broken. Follow the links and the sporrans that where for sale are long gone.

Of course on the forum you see the same question asked a few times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to last page of thread and work backwards to find recent listings. Also under thread tools you can subscribe to the thread to see posts as they are added. I purchased a new condition LandM dress sporran for $100 or so. There are often day sporrans popping up in your price range.

Also on FB there is a fellow , The Kited Godfather, who organizes group buys throughout the year. He has an online store as well called The Box Pleat Kilt. I purchased a wonderful Margaret Morrison Sporran at a significant savings during a group deal and would happily deal with Josh again.

In my experience with shipping to Canada from the US and UK you are far less likely to be hit with tax and customs charges if the shipper uses regular post (United States Postal Service or Royal Mail) rather than couriers such as UPS, DHL etc. Also couriers oft charge brokers fees on top of that.

Also you could keep an eye on the For Sale forum here on Xmarks as well as place a Wanted to Buy forums

Good luck in your search.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for the same thing a while back and ended up pulling the trigger on the one in the link below. It's nothing fancy, the embossing is a nice touch yet still simple. The nicest parts for me were the design with the closure in the middle and the size. It's very accommodating for all my things.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Embos...8AAOSwL7VWtRMe

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Frostbeard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought.

Whilst embossing is liked by some, you may find a plain leather sporran rather more "timeless".
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just thought.

Whilst embossing is liked by some, you may find a plain leather sporran rather more "timeless".
    I rather wondered about that. It was my thought that 'plain' might be just a small notch up.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I rather wondered about that. It was my thought that 'plain' might be just a small notch up.
    I am not sure that I would call it a "notch up" Bill, although some might think so , but more like, a tad more versatile and hence better value for money.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks for the input guys..

The more I look at what is out there on eBay or Esty the more I like the vintage gear. Vintage sporrans are often better made the there modern counterparts. They often have a lot of character and style of there own which I like.

Main issue is price and availability with vintage gear.Put if you keep looking in time you get a good deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast