X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    I remembered the Cold Steel being much darker. My mistake
    Rose wood handle so could be a bit of natural variability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Howling Dingo;1381507]
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Seems to be a talented metal worker/bladesmith in Russia.[/QUOTE

Yes more likely to be Russian than Greek both alphabets are similar to me. Profile photo shows a man at a table with a haggis and a bottle of Glenfiddich.
    I know very little about Russian or about the metallurgy and other skills required to make sgians, dirks, etc, but at one time of my life I studied ancient Greek so intensely that I was beginning to think in it. Please be assured those characters are not Greek.

As for haggis and Glenfiddich, these delicacies are best enjoyed separately: I would have Glenfiddich, then haggis, then more Glenfiddich - but that's just me, it's not a strict rule of any kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dr Bee;1381722]
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Dingo View Post

I know very little about Russian or about the metallurgy and other skills required to make sgians, dirks, etc, but at one time of my life I studied ancient Greek so intensely that I was beginning to think in it. Please be assured those characters are not Greek.

As for haggis and Glenfiddich, these delicacies are best enjoyed separately: I would have Glenfiddich, then haggis, then more Glenfiddich - but that's just me, it's not a strict rule of any kind.
    I think we have established the name is Russian not Greek.But that's for you help as there are few things too go on with this bloke.

Again for me both alphabets look kind of the same to me. Seems like a lot an of art and crafts coming out of the old USSR states. For years the state blocked or controlled a lot of these kind of things. Now folk are enjoying there new found freedom.

Yes haggis then Glenfiddich but not at the same time, I am with you there,mate.! I store my Glenfiddich in my sporran in between munching on my haggis

haggis.jpg
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 6th January 20 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About alphabets, the name shown is in the Cyrillic alphabet which is used in a number of countries for a number of languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabets

I learned the alphabet in the course of learning about Bulgaria. It comes in handy due to news videos often having a streaming of Cyrillic going across the bottom, or in the oddest times like when they go on a Russian space station in the film Gravity and I can read the signage (the words being the same scientific words we use, borrowed from Greek and Latin).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 6th January 20 at 02:45 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Numerous Cyrillic alphabets are based on the Cyrillic script. The early Cyrillic alphabet was developed in the First Bulgarian Empire during the 9th century AD at the Preslav Literary School by Saint Clement of Ohrid and Saint Naum and replaced the earlier Glagolitic script developed by the Byzantine theologians Cyril and Methodius. It is the basis of alphabets used in various languages, past and present, in parts of Southeastern Europe and Northern Eurasia, especially those of Slavic origin, and non-Slavic languages influenced by Russian. As of 2011, around 252 million people in Eurasia use it as the official alphabet for their national languages. About half of them are in Russia. Cyrillic is one of the most-used writing systems in the world."

Wikipedia

So easy to misidentify with those with languages they are closely association. I think we have cleared this point up.

So to recap..

So we have a man who is probability of Russian heritage. His name is in English Dmitry Kuznetsov. He is a silversmith/knifemaker and he has a small Instagram page and online shop called Alcedo Jewelry. Again not 100% sure this is him but uses the same name.

Instagram "alcedo_jewelry"

https://www.instagram.com/alcedo_jewelry/

Shop page

http://silver-lab.ru/

Dmitriy Kuznetsov on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...7%3A1578353433

As far as I can make out the Dirk and Sporran was a one off project. Maybe a commission for a local Scot or just a personal project.Clan badge (which my be Fraser) kind of suggests more likely to be a commission.

If you look at the end of the video you and seen that on the blueprints the small knife is named as a Sgian-dubh. As It has a belt loop this my show a lack of understand of how this knife is normally worn. As far I know the Sgian-dubh is never wore on the belt.

I love to have all of the things in the video in my little collection, they do look very well made. Just wish I could find out a wee bit more,still mostly a mystery. That is about as far as my thinking has got me....

dirk.jpg
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 6th January 20 at 07:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12