X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Fort George just outside of Inverness(about opposite Avoch on the opposite side of the Moray Firth,) is almost a must see, superb views from the ramparts (keep an eye out for the dolphins), an interesting regimental museum within, along with being an almost intact materpiece of Georgian military defensive architecture.

At Fort William, right in the centre of town is the West Highland Museum. Its quite small, but is well worth a visit as it has some superb exhibits.

Have fun!
    Took this tip from Jock when we visited last year for our *cough* anniversary. If you can fit it in, well worth a trip.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is not forced, but has chosen Edinburgh precisely because it's the tourist capital -- and we are tourists on this first visit to Scotland -- and also because I actually know someone there (the rector of St. John the Evangelist, Princes Street) whom we can meet up with while we're there.

We're planning to return, so we are not trying to "do" everything all in one trip.

I'd be very interested, however, to hear the "balancing" that went into Jock's response to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron of Texas View Post
    If one were forced to choose between Edinburgh or Glasgow, which?
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revdpatience View Post
    This one is not forced, but has chosen Edinburgh precisely because it's the tourist capital -- and we are tourists on this first visit to Scotland -- and also because I actually know someone there (the rector of St. John the Evangelist, Princes Street) whom we can meet up with while we're there.

We're planning to return, so we are not trying to "do" everything all in one trip.

I'd be very interested, however, to hear the "balancing" that went into Jock's response to this question.
    I am not sure that I should answer this. I think it’s best that you have a good time in Edinburgh.........and you will, of that I am certain sure..........without my preferences working away in your mind. When you return and perhaps you will then visit Glasgow for longer, then you can make up your own mind!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th January 20 at 02:30 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in May, Edinburgh will be packed with tourists (though August is obviously much worse) and, for those of us who do or have lived there, we feel it's just too overwhelming. Glasgow is always packed with Weegies (Glaswegians). Skye has become ridiculous. So, at least, you're avoiding the two worst places. Just remember to come to the Northeast next time.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123