X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan registration question

I was just wondering if you have to get a tartan registered to have it woven or is that just to claim that you are the designer of the tartan?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no requirement to register a design. There are many hundred non-registered designs. One guy on one of the on-line Tartan design programs has designed well over 100 designs just because he likes t do it. He has not gone through the expense of registering any of his designs.

In fact registration is a bit of a misleading term.

A better term would be "listing". All the register does is - 1) compare a new design against the existing ones so that they are different. 2) insure that the design name conforms with current naming conventions. 3) keep a sample of the woven fabric if you send them one.

A weaver does not care, or in many cases even know, if a design is registered or not. Most will abide by a Copyright if they are notified that a design is under copyright but they are not obligated to do a copyright search.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbeard View Post
    I was just wondering if you have to get a tartan registered to have it woven or is that just to claim that you are the designer of the tartan?
    I don't know for sure if it is courtesy or a requirement of some kind, but every time some one has asked about weaving the tartan I registered, I have receieved an email from the weaver asking if I approve of the request. This has happened a couple of times so far, though I very much doubt anyone else had the tartan woven. On one occasion when I ordered a custom weave for one kilt, the weaver double checked to make sure I was the person listed. At very least, it suggests a degree of integrity, and that the weavers did check the Scottish Register of Tartans before accepting an order.
    EPITAPH: Decades from now, no one will know what my bank balance looked like, it won't matter to anyone what kind of car I drove, nor will anyone care what sort of house I lived in. But the world will be a different place, because I did something so mind bafflingly eccentric that my ruins have become a tourist attraction.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Gryphon noir For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same, i am going through getting my first custom kilt and fabric woven. My tartan is registered, and was asked to verify i am who i said i am according to the registry. Of course i asked them to weave STR#10077, so that might have been a clue to them to check.

Its possible if i just gave them thread counts, that they would have never checked.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon noir View Post
    I don't know for sure if it is courtesy or a requirement of some kind, but every time some one has asked about weaving the tartan I registered, I have receieved an email from the weaver asking if I approve of the request. This has happened a couple of times so far, though I very much doubt anyone else had the tartan woven. On one occasion when I ordered a custom weave for one kilt, the weaver double checked to make sure I was the person listed. At very least, it suggests a degree of integrity, and that the weavers did check the Scottish Register of Tartans before accepting an order.
    Oh marvellous! I am delighted to hear that the weavers take the time to check.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: