X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would I adapt kilt chain+belt combo to fit my skinny waist?

I have been gifted a basic sporran (mfg by L&M Highland Outfitters) that includes chains connected to a short leather center strap (that goes thru the belt slot on the sporran), and on the other chain ends: a leather strap with a buckle and the mating strap with holes punched in it. Overall the arrangement is way too long for me. The chains and center strap alone almost fit around me. I think with some difficulty I can remove links from the chains, but would I be better off to just get a single leather belt (1/2"wide)? I have heard that chains can be hard of kilt material (?). (I have no experience with chains. My only other sporran has a one piece leather belt.)

Thanks in advance, Tommy
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chains from L&M are pretty good quality, so no problem there, you could take out some of the links or you could use the leather belt you already have. Another idea is to get another leather belt, this can be done a few ways you can buy a sporran strap, you can get a ladies belt that is thin enough to work or you can do what I did and go to Tandy Leather or somewhere like that and make your own.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 1st January 20 at 03:42 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true about the "extra" length in both chain and strap. As McMurdo, suggests, remove some of the links. I did this with both of my sporran chains. I made it so that the length, when attached to a sporran was at the centre of my hips. I then took this to a local leather shop and had new belts custom made to work with my size.

For thoses planing to wear the Scottish national dress on a regular basis, or to events nicer than a pub crawl or the games, there's no point for half measures... in for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.

Frank
    Last edited by Highland Logan; 1st January 20 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted a leather sporran strap rather than the chain so I took the buckle from a chain and strap and cut down a belt from an op shop to fit the buckle. I put the belt through the back of the sporran rather than using the double D strap that usually goes there. I'm sure there are better ways to do it but this was very cheap and easy for me to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
    I have heard that chains can be hard of kilt material (?).
    If the chain has rough spots or sharp spots on it, those can rub against the kilt and cause wear on the material. I haven't seen a chain that cheap, but I've heard they exist.

I think with some difficulty I can remove links from the chains, but would I be better off to just get a single leather belt (1/2"wide)?
    Alternatively, you could use the belt from your other sporran.

As another alternative, you could buy a shorter chain. I checked on The Scottish Trading Company website (link at the top of the page) and found them for $20. USA Kilts (link also at the top) also had them for $20. Scotweb Clan (link also at the top) had them for $12 (Mens Wear > Kilts & Kilt Outfits > Sporrans & Sporran Flasks > Straps & Chains > Chrome Leather Chain Strap). I've purchased from all three companies, and I've had returns with both USA Kilts and The Scottish Trading Company. If you get a chain with rough spots, I'm confident that you could return it.

For chain vs. strap, choose the look you prefer.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the easiest solution would be to go with a plain leather sporran belt, which is super easy to adapt to a smaller size: just punch more holes, and chop off the unneeded extra.

Myself I would make my own leather sporran belt. You can buy a length of the 3/4 inch leather and use one Chicago screw to fasten the buckle on. I've made quite a few sporran belts and waistbelts over the years, with Chicago screws you can make a belt in a few minutes. For thickness, I prefer thinner/more flexible sporran belts and might go with around 6 ounce leather.

The caveat is that I take basic leatherwork and the required tools for granted. I have to keep in mind that many folks don't have that stuff around the house.

I do prefer plain leather sporran belts to chain straps, don't know why.

Not a sporran belt, but here's a waistbelt I made in around a half hour with a leather strap, three Chicago screws, and a buckle I bought in deepest darkest Appalachia nearly 50 years ago.

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd January 20 at 03:40 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn a chain strap with my kilt for over 20 years - and not had any issues with wear and tear.

About 5 years ago I swapped out the standard chains for chainmail. These are very smooth, they were intended as mens bracelets and I wore them as such to test for "snagging" - if they don't pluck the hairs on my wrists (they didn't) highly unlikely they will do so with my kilt. I like the look as they are much more substantial looking chains than the original. Made to length you can customise to your size.

I am planning to make up another set for a new sporran.

Another option might be to go with a pair of sporran hangers - generally a low cost alternative to a sporran belt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a sporran with a "chains and belt" arrangement, as you describe. To be honest, it was a pain in the... well... backside, which was where the adjusting buckle was, centre back. My car has cloth boucle seats (little loops) and the hasp of the centre back buckle kept snagging the car seats. My solution was to replace it with a simple continuous leather belt, the same width as the short belt that goes through your sporran loop. Toss all the existing belt parts away, slide the new belt through the sporran loop, adjust the length of the belt to your size and then when fastening it, fasten the buckle on the side of your hip, by your kilt belt, or just in front. Unobtrusive, easier to fasten and doesn't snag the seats. Just make sure the inner side of the belt is smooth, so as to avoid wear on your kilt.
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-size

I'd pick up a thin lady's belt at a discount store since it has a buckle, or a leather pet leash, and order a small buckle on Ebay or Tandy Leather.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been gifted a basic sporran (mfg by L&M Highland Outfitters) that includes chains connected to a short leather center strap (that goes thru the belt slot on the sporran), and on the other chain ends: a leather strap with a buckle and the mating strap with holes punched in it. Overall the arrangement is way too long for me. The chains and center strap alone almost fit around me. I think with some difficulty I can remove links from the chains, but would I be better off to just get a single leather belt (1/2"wide)? I have heard that chains can be hard of kilt material (?). (I have no experience with chains. My only other sporran has a one piece leather belt.)

Thanks in advance, Tommy
    Well,...............you could eat more.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast