X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Thoughts.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts.

I know these are only words that won't cure the World's ills and I am thinking of everyone from wherever who is suffering, but particularly at this moment of time, I am thinking of those poor souls involved in those terrible fires in Australia. Some might think these are hollow words in such circumstances and perhaps, many will think they are. Nevertheless, if just one person somewhere in the world draws a smidgen of comfort from this post, then thats just fine by me.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your thoughts are very much appreciated Jock. In Western Australia we have not seen the catastrophic fires that are devastating the eastern states, however, since November, about 1.2 million hectares have been lost to fires.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 5th January 20 at 02:22 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Jock
    Im safe in the city but my country place looks like it will end being hit at some stage.
    The Watch & Act-Evacuate messages are coming thick and fast.
    I was just watching a video on Facebook from a meeting at the local evacuation centre this afternoon..... it seems there is no way to put these fires out so they are going to allow them to join up and contain the outer perimeter(s)
    It’s going to be weeks>months unfortunately before they are finished.

On a good note the response from those not affected in the wider community has been overwhelming....
    They have actually asked for no more food and clothing donations as it’s too much and only asking for money donations.

I have a group of defence veteran friends who are heading east to start the clean up in a few days - all self funded and organised.
    Its amazing the good in people when times are truely bad.

Once again thank you.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does one say? What does one do? In situations thousands of miles away from where most of us are sat, thinking people just cannot sit by and say nothing. I don't suppose it helps one bit materially, but I hope the thoughts from those from afar might raise moral of those facing dire situations, just a wee tad. Those not actually involved at a disaster but are close enough to pass on distant words of encouragement, when time allows, I am sure/hope at least lets the people know that are battling with dire situations close up that some in the rest of the world do know and do care.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is how you can donate funds

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Thank You Jock
    Im safe in the city but my country place looks like it will end being hit at some stage.
    The Watch & Act-Evacuate messages are coming thick and fast.
    I was just watching a video on Facebook from a meeting at the local evacuation centre this afternoon..... it seems there is no way to put these fires out so they are going to allow them to join up and contain the outer perimeter(s)
    It’s going to be weeks>months unfortunately before they are finished.

On a good note the response from those not affected in the wider community has been overwhelming....
    They have actually asked for no more food and clothing donations as it’s too much and only asking for money donations.

I have a group of defence veteran friends who are heading east to start the clean up in a few days - all self funded and organised.
    Its amazing the good in people when times are truely bad.

Once again thank you.
    I found this link to a news story that provides several ways to donate money to help in the effort.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...da54b6bf128aa0

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

9. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts - A little bit of XMarks is going to the fire zone

Inspired by kind words of Jock and others I had a thought...

So a bit of Xmarks is going to the fire zones to help with wildlife rescue & recovery in the form of a rescue pouch in XMarks Tartan.

The toll the fires have taken on native wildlife is devastating, it’s believed that some rarer animals may become extinct.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/b...ds-extinction/

I hope this will help in some small way?

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Inspired by kind words of Jock and others I had a thought...

So a bit of Xmarks is going to the fire zones to help with wildlife rescue & recovery in the form of a rescue pouch in XMarks Tartan.

The toll the fires have taken on native wildlife is devastating, it’s believed that some rarer animals may become extinct.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/b...ds-extinction/

I hope this will help in some small way?
    What a bonza (bonza is not a word that I have used, or thought about, for probably 50/60 something years, but it sprang instantly to my mind when I saw your post) idea!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th January 20 at 03:08 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock,
    thank you for your kind words and concern. We went through our own bushfire emergency back in September when we were evacuated. Fortunately our home and property were saved and the bush in our immediate vicinity has been cleared out. There are still many fires burning around us though and we are constantly living in smoke haze to varying degrees and no end to this drought in sight.

It does help just to know others are thinking and praying for you in these times. Thank you.

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Queenslander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humour in adverity - Mogo NSW

17. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post: