X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have known of the “Sgian Achlais” as the predecessor of the Sgian Dubh for a long time. My understanding was that the old story of “when you go into a friend’s home, you put your Sgian into your hosetop so you’re not concealing your weapon” applied directly to the Sgian Achlais. IE, the first Sgian Dubhn were simply Sgian Achlais stuck in the hosetop. And they evolved to be a shorter shape from the longer skinnier shape to become the modern Sgian Dubh shape.

I have no sources, but that has long been my understanding of the origins of the Sgian Achlais and Sgian Dubh.
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    If you would like to PM me your email address I will send you a picture of my gralloching knife.
    Jock, what a kind offer. Thank you. I've not any space in my PM folder, but if you click on my user name above (where my avatar would be
    if I had one) it allows you to click on the option of sending me an e-mail. I'll look forward to seeing it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Jock, what a kind offer. Thank you. I've not any space in my PM folder, but if you click on my user name above (where my avatar would be
    if I had one) it allows you to click on the option of sending me an e-mail. I'll look forward to seeing it.
    Tried that. Sadly there is no way, that I can see to send a picture to you. Now that could be my almost non existent technical knowhow being tested, I don't know. I am afraid I need an email address, then I know what to do!......... I think!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Tried that. Sadly there is no way, that I can see to send a picture to you. Now that could be my almost non existent technical knowhow being tested, I don't know. I am afraid I need an email address, then I know what to do!......... I think!
    My knowhow is limited as well, but I stumbled onto the e-mail link in the user name. It won't show my address, but will let you send "It's me",
    or "Best laid plans". Your address is revealed to me as sender. That lets me reply to you, which then reveals my address to you. I'm pretty sure.
    Don't you love how computers simplify and speed things up?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    My knowhow is limited as well, but I stumbled onto the e-mail link in the user name. It won't show my address, but will let you send "It's me",
    or "Best laid plans". Your address is revealed to me as sender. That lets me reply to you, which then reveals my address to you. I'm pretty sure.
    Don't you love how computers simplify and speed things up?
    I did that. I sent you an email(I have just sent you another) , but no picture, by that "xmarks" system. Just a thought, you could delete some of the Messages in your PM “out” box and then you could then PM your email address. That should work?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th January 20 at 08:40 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Waverly, is there an earlier reference to the practice prior to the 1840's when Scott put this in his story?

“Skene-occle! what’s that?” Callum unbuttoned his coat, raised his left arm, and, with an emphatic nod, pointed to the hilt of a small dirk, snugly deposited under it, in the lining of his jacket."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12