X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackcock Feather Hackles

I think I saw that the Royal Regiment of Scotland is now wearing Blackcock Feathers. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) It's a variation that looks so very different from anything else.

So, to our Scottish military members please: What is the historical and traditional significance of the Blackcock hackle? Who else has worn them? What is the civilian history of that particular adornment. I think my earliest memory of them was, oddly enough the MacDonald cigarette lassie!

Thanks to all and any for your input.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 6th January 20 at 06:44 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They used to be worn by the KOSBs but I don't know what the current situation is.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 6th January 20 at 12:53 AM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Wiki:

“black-cock tail feathers originally worn in the 1904 pattern Kilmarnock Bonnet and latterly in the regimental Glengarry Cap by the Royal Scots and King's Own Scottish Borderers, who merged in August 2006 to form 1 SCOTS. “

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from the 2018, Edition of the RRS Dress Regulations, Part One, p64:

The Black Cock Feather
    The black cock’s tail feathers originated from the feathers worn by chiefs and chieftains in
    the old clans denoting rank. They were worn by most pipers, (Highland or Lowland,
    which would he logical as pipers were highly respected in the clans), with the exception of
    the 79th Regiment, who wore eagle feathers, from the end of the Crimean war. Black
    cock feathers were adopted by the Royal Scots (1st) and King’s Own Scottish Borderers
    (25th) in 1902 and 1903 respectively when they started to wear the Kilmarnock Bonnet
    and both Regiments continued to wear the Black cock in ceremonial orders of dress.
    Pipers in the Gordon’s and Argyll’s also wore it in ceremonial dress.

The earlier edition said at p58:

The Black Cock Feather
    There is evidence of pipers of the 25th Regiment wearing Black cock feathers in Minorca in 1771.
    The majority of Regimental pipers wore the Black cock feather with the exception of the 79th
    Regiment, who wore an Eagle feather, from the end of the Crimean war. The Black cock feather
    was worn by all ranks of The Royal Scots and The Kings Own Scottish Borderers in ceremonial
    orders of dress. Pipers in the Gordon’s and Argyll’s also wore it in ceremonial dress.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much to so many of the Great Rabble for your input to the military history.

What about civilian use? So often the two run in parallel. Is this part of that history? OC Richard, you often have the answers to that question; can you help?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some civilian pipers might wear one, but in general most kilted civilians in Scotland would just regard blackcock feathers as unnecessary frippery. Actually, much like they would a bonnet.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Some civilian pipers might wear one, but in general most kilted civilians in Scotland would just regard blackcock feathers as unnecessary frippery. Actually, much like they would a bonnet.
    Much as I thought. What about historically?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure Bill. The Victorians and the Edwardians tended on occasion to dress things up a bit and I think I can recall seeing photographs with blackcock feathers and such worn in the bonnet and the occasional artist's impression of earlier times where bonnets have been adorned with feathers. In these cases I have never been convinced that that was anything more than romantic dressup and not common practice in real civilian life.

However we do need to remember that eagle feathers, one, two, or three, worn in the bonnet are a legitimate and traditional way of distinguishing certain positions of some Clan members within the Clan.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th January 20 at 08:48 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jock, and oh yes - I'm very aware of the eagle feather convention.

You're very helpful.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to be Bill.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th January 20 at 08:50 AM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast