X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    I'm A n00b, I have one belt, pair of hose, and sporran, lol. I specifically bought cream colored hose because I figured it'd fit both Tartans. I don't have any jacket yet, or more formal sporran, and would probably try to buy one that would go with both.
    My wife gave me my first kilt a little over a year ago. I started choosing my future pieces based on two criteria: (1) under what circumstances am I wearing my kilt most often right now, and (2) under what circumstances do I want to wear a kilt in the future.

What color kilt hose do you want? Do you need them for warmer weather or colder weather? Due to my location, I usually go for cotton hose ... which cost $10 to $20 per pair. Wool starts around $25, and comes in a number of colors that aren't available for cotton. Provided you went with modern colors, most of my kilt hose would go with both of your kilts. The plum pair might not ... but it goes with a couple of mine. Particularly with the purplish shirts.

Any remotely normal dress sporran should work with both tartans. Get something with a silver/chrome/pewter/etc. cantle and black/white/gray/brown fur. Most sporrans will work with most tartans. You would actively have to work at it to find exceptions (such as tartan sporrans).

What size are you? For slimmer men (36-42 chest), eBay is a great place to acquire bargain jackets. Do you want a jacket for evening dress, or day wear? Most of the standard jacket colors (black, charcoal, gray, Lovat blue, Lovat green, brown) would work well with both tartans.

I may be reading too much into a few posts, but it seems like you're (mentally) over-complicating things and putting some false constraints upon yourself. If you went with modern MacNeil and modern MacQueen (or modern anything), that tends to make coordinating colors relatively simple.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    My wife gave me my first kilt a little over a year ago. I started choosing my future pieces based on two criteria: (1) under what circumstances am I wearing my kilt most often right now, and (2) under what circumstances do I want to wear a kilt in the future.

What color kilt hose do you want? Do you need them for warmer weather or colder weather? Due to my location, I usually go for cotton hose ... which cost $10 to $20 per pair. Wool starts around $25, and comes in a number of colors that aren't available for cotton. Provided you went with modern colors, most of my kilt hose would go with both of your kilts. The plum pair might not ... but it goes with a couple of mine. Particularly with the purplish shirts.

Any remotely normal dress sporran should work with both tartans. Get something with a silver/chrome/pewter/etc. cantle and black/white/gray/brown fur. Most sporrans will work with most tartans. You would actively have to work at it to find exceptions (such as tartan sporrans).

What size are you? For slimmer men (36-42 chest), eBay is a great place to acquire bargain jackets. Do you want a jacket for evening dress, or day wear? Most of the standard jacket colors (black, charcoal, gray, Lovat blue, Lovat green, brown) would work well with both tartans.

I may be reading too much into a few posts, but it seems like you're (mentally) over-complicating things and putting some false constraints upon yourself. If you went with modern MacNeil and modern MacQueen (or modern anything), that tends to make coordinating colors relatively simple.

I'm very broad shouldered, and broad chested, to say nothing of my beer belly I wear a 56 coat, so probably no luck there. Is sort of figured my existing dress coats in Navy and black would work. I've got cream colored kilt hose, so I think those should work for either. And I picked up the cheapest sporran I could find at the time, which is rather plain. I have seen some Coyote fur ones that seem quite attractive, and would go with either, I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12