X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to find MacQueen Kilt for a reasonable price

So, as some of you may have seen, I recently purchased a MacNeil Tartan kilt for the AtlantaKilt company, along with accessories, and have been very happy with it so far. MacNeil of Barra seems much more common than my mothers folks, the MacQueens. Everywhere I look for the MacQueen kilt is quite expensive. Does anyone have any resources out there that may be a little more financially viable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USAKilts has a few different MacQueen fabrics. No polyviscose so the semi traditional kilt is out but you could get their 5 yard kilt in macqueen for $299.99.

https://www.usakilts.com/gallery/13-...en-modern-5720
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak to the quality - but this is listed by Bauhaus Boy on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TARTAN-KI...gAAOSw1GtcjeA1

The also have some matching accoutrements - if that's your thing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a friendly observation, that I hope will not cause offence.

We in Scotland could probably choose many tartans that we have a connection to. If you take me as an example, I could choose at least ten. Most of us choose just the one, that is usually, but not always, our father's. If nothing else, it is a lot less expensive that way.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just a friendly observation, that I hope will not cause offence.

We in Scotland could probably choose many tartans that we have a connection to. If you take me as an example, I could choose at least ten. Most of us choose just the one, that is usually, but not always, our father's. If nothing else, it is a lot less expensive that way.
    No offense taken! It's simply meant to honor my Maternal grandfather and great grandfather. If we're stuck with simply Paternal line, then Lail, my Surname is German from Baden-Wurttemberg, on the Rhine, and originally Loehl, but as we know, literacy wasn't a strong suit for most people until recently. But, I'm mostly Scots-Irish, and that's how I think of myself. We Americans are slightly more mongrel, I think.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We Scots are a mongrel race too, only we started quite a bit earlier with the mixing.....that probably goes for all of us the world over , even if we don't know the who or the where, if we care to think about it...... and we are still adding to the mixture. As I have said we tend to just pick one tartan for whatever reason and stick with it, although the paternal line is probably the usual route. Again, as I have mentioned, we make a choice whatever that might be and stick with it. It does not mean that we forget our other ancestors that we know of. As I also mentioned, it is also a much less expensive option!

We tend buy the best we can afford and buy only once. Something many on this website might like to think about?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    We Scots are a mongrel race too, only we started quite a bit earlier with the mixing.....that probably goes for all of us the world over , even if we don't know the who or the where, if we care to think about it...... and we are still adding to the mixture. As I have said we tend to just pick one tartan for whatever reason and stick with it, although the paternal line is probably the usual route. Again, as I have mentioned, we make a choice whatever that might be and stick with it. It does not mean that we forget our other ancestors that we know of. As I also mentioned, it is also a much less expensive option!

We tend buy the best we can afford and buy only once. Something many on this website might like to think about?
    I own kilts in two different tartans (extravagant, I know), and I do agree that fewer must be better. Among other issues, the sheer number of possible permutations of various hose and jacket styles and colors is mind-boggling. If I were to shop for additional kilts, they would either be replacement tartan kilts demoting the current two to hiking wear, or else they would be tweed or solid colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    I own kilts in two different tartans (extravagant, I know), and I do agree that fewer must be better. Among other issues, the sheer number of possible permutations of various hose and jacket styles and colors is mind-boggling. If I were to shop for additional kilts, they would either be replacement tartan kilts demoting the current two to hiking wear, or else they would be tweed or solid colors.
    I'm A n00b, I have one belt, pair of hose, and sporran, lol. I specifically bought cream colored hose because I figured it'd fit both Tartans. I don't have any jacket yet, or more formal sporran, and would probably try to buy one that would go with both.
    Last edited by Rlail; 14th January 20 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning the purchase of my second kilt now, but I had it in mind from the beginning, so I've already chosen kilt jackets and accessories that will serve for both.

The same lovat green tweed Argyll jacket that is in my avatar will go nicely with Ancient Mackenzie (my current kilt) and Ancient MacColl (my next).

ctst-mkz-a-mackenzie-ancient-strome-tartan-front-72dpi-rgb.jpg ctst-mco-a-maccoll-ancient-strome-tartan-front-72dpi-rgb.jpg

Of course, black tie events call for the black Argyll jacket and waistcoat, no matter the tartan of the kilt.

Both sides of my Scottish ancestry will then be covered, so maybe that will satisfy my KAD (kilt acquisition disorder), at least temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A gentle reminder. You can have any two of price, quality, or service.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast