X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi from alaska!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi from alaska!

Hi!

I'm from southeast alaska and i'm thinking of taking a backpacking trip in the scottish highlands...and not wanting to look like an ignorant tourist would like to know a few things. The best places to get a budget kilt (ex hire?). Being rather poor I can't afford a really good one unfortunately...and the best places to wear one (highland games?)...and any advice on were to go in the highlands? I like less populated areas... thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

I'll leave the best advice to come from our Scottish members and those who travel there more often than I, but the one thing I'd note is that you'll see few, if any, kilts on your trip with the exception of highland games, tourist stores, any pipe bands you may see, and perhaps the Tartan Army if there are footie games going on. Beyond that, it usually makes it clear that you're a tourist, perhaps particularly in a budget kilt.

Go to Scotland; learn, enjoy, but your kilt will make you stand out more than fit in. Of course, other tourists may want their picture taken with you!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 3,228 population small enough for you. You have to take a ferry to get there, but it is the Isle of Islay https://www.islay.blog/ look on the right side and it shows you some of things Islay has to offer and do. Walking trails included.

Welcome and may you enjoy your time here!!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Is 3,228 population small enough for you. You have to take a ferry to get there, but it is the Isle of Islay https://www.islay.blog/ look on the right side and it shows you some of things Islay has to offer and do. Walking trails included.

Welcome and may you enjoy your time here!!!!!!
    Island hopping was on my list...the population is about the same at the island I am from...my island is about 10 times bigger though...haha...and if I wear a kilt in the mountains and the games I wouldn't look much like a tourist...lill I spoke then the accent would give it away lol...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably wouldn't be as sensitive to acting like tourist if it wasn't for growing up in a touristy area...you can handle people asking if you take American money so many times...and all those "reality" tv shows haven't helped any...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the dragon keeper View Post
    Probably wouldn't be as sensitive to acting like tourist if it wasn't for growing up in a touristy area...you can handle people asking if you take American money so many times...and all those "reality" tv shows haven't helped any...
    Don't forget though, that Scots may have a different although very polite, response to tourists than other cultures you may have visited.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally haven't traveled much...the only other country I have visited is Canada and most people say that doesn't count...and thinking about traveling no place really interests me much except Scotland, Ireland, Shetlands, and the Faroes...maybe it's because I'm from a wet and windy island and its familiar...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes wear the kilt by all means and as often as you wish.
    If it's a budget kilt make sure it's a good one, , you will probably know if it's a decent one as soon as you wear it.
    Of course you wont see many scots wearing the kilt other than what has been forementioned but remember it is our national dress and most scots have worn the kilt at some time or another. So the kilt is easily a acceptable in Scotland and if worn well , you will receive many compliments from local Scots. It's funny to say that although the kilt is not a common sight in Scotland other than weddings, Burns nights, national football and rugby matches, most Scots love to see the kilt being worn. So wear it and wear it well

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in middle England. I wear my kilt as much as possible in Scotland, and have received very favourable comments. I have several times been mistaken for a tour guide!! (No doubt this reflects the fact that not many Scots wear the kilt on a day-to-day basis.)

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast