X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rugby Wear

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pejorative? Don’t be silly. That’s offensive and insulting.

I’m just saying that you can’t be an apple and a watermelon at the same time because you cant be two different things at the same time.

Feels to me like you’re trying to pick a fight. If you are, then back off Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    Is one of those choices (in either statement) supposed to be a pejorative?

Seriously, if I asked you whether you'd rather look like a Scot or a Canadian, how would that sound to you? Or to be clearer, a Highlander or a Canuck, eh?

Outside a handful of people who are current/former members of this forum, nobody in my personal circle of acquaintances would know what a Scottish buckle looks like. And a Texan/cowboy belt buckle ... that looks like a normal belt buckle to them. I'm much more concerned with "Does this look good?" rather than "Does this look Scottish?" or "Does this look Texan?"

And for the sake of clarification, I mean "Does this look good to the people who will be seeing it today?" My decision takes into account the fashion sensibilities of the people I'm around.

If people don't wear that type of buckle for casual, smart casual, or sporty wear in Scotland, that's useful information ... just in case I decide to wear a kilt the next time I'm in Scotland. In Texas, it's not generally altering my sartorial decisions.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karl R.

A brace of Scottish style day wear/casual belt buckles that are pretty normal in Scotland, for your future reference.

100_1045.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th January 20 at 04:14 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    Until about 10 years ago I think I was one of the few to wear a Rugby jersey and kilt - it seemed that it was one or the other.
    I've got to admit it's become more uniform and popular - but the pics I posted were in Paris in 2003 and Rome in 2006. A bit more than 10 years ago and I was certainly far from in the minority - but that said, I am more likely to throw my kilt on for away games (as in nearly always) but maybe 50/50 when at Murrayfield.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About brimmed hats with kilts, it's just a matter of common sense and Highland Dress adapting to conditions.

The Scottish regiments never hesitated to modify or change headdress to suit sunny climes- around 1800 the regiments added a visor to the feather bonnet! And later introduced sun helmets, then wide-brimmed hats. Protecting the troops from sunburns was obviously more important than sticking with traditional Highland headdress.

And so it is with civilian Highland Dress: it adapts as needed.

Here's a gathering of XMarkers at a California Highland Games. We have fair skin and live in a hot sunny climate and we wear what makes sense.

Here's a modern pipe band in Australia. Nothing Texan about it!

Last edited by OC Richard; 30th January 20 at 05:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I always tuck in a rugby shirt this photo was taken in late 2007 or early 2008

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so much on the rugby topic but the "cowboy hat" or brimmed hat with Highland Dress topic, here's the Pipes and Drums of the 5th Wellington West Coast and Taranaki (5WWCT) Battalion

The hat style, called Montana Peak in the USA nowadays, in the 1897 Sears catalog was called the Pine Ridge Sombrero or Cowboy's Hat (actual cowboy hats had flat brims)

Last edited by OC Richard; 5th February 20 at 05:49 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=OC Richard;1382648]Not so much on the rugby topic but the "cowboy hat" or brimmed hat with Highland Dress topic, here's the Pipes and Drums of the 5th Wellington West Coast and Taranaki (5WWCT) Battalion

Not "Rugby Wear" related, so please excuse me, but I couldn't help but notice the length and differences in the "cut-away" of the jackets in this picture. Not the typical military uniformity one might expect.

Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234