X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pipe Band dress predictions for the next decade

I've just been looking over some old Pathe videos of Highland Games in the 1950s and 1960s and I'm struck by how the dress of the competing Pipe Bands and Highland Dancers has utterly changed from then to today, while the dress of the Chiefs, Stewards, judges, and others in Highland Dress has remained the same.

The civilian Pipe Bands in the 50s and 60s were dressed the same as in Victorian times, either in military-style Full Dress or in a civilian Evening Dress with lace jabots, Regulation or Montrose doublets, tartan hose, buckled shoes, and long horsehair sporrans.

While watching video of the bands at a 1969 Highland Games the question arose "who in the Pipe Band world, in 1969, would have imagined that a decade in the future Pipe Band dress would completely change?" For by 1979 the feather bonnets, military doublets, Regulation doublets, long hair sporrans, spats, buckled shoes, and the rest would be gone, replaced by Prince Charlie or Argyll jackets, small Day or Evening sporrans, selfcoloured hose, and ghillie brogues.

Here we stand at the start of a new decade. How will Pipe Band dress look in 2030?

I think that bands like Inveraray are pointing the way towards an abandonment of the black & white look that's ruled the Pipe Band world since the 1980s, and moving toward earth-toned outfits with Weathered tartans and brown tweeds.

I predict that by 2030 the top bands will be wearing something along these lines:

Below we have earth-toned accessories worn with an ordinary Modern Colours kilt, which is a thing that will happen if Pipe Bands move in the direction I predict. This is because a band set of kilts is an extremely expensive thing, and bands change tartans far less often than they change accessories.

However the top bands, Grade One and sometimes Grade Two, have the resources to change their kilts more often.

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th January 20 at 06:32 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting predictions given the popularity of Outlander I could see this happening, I do wonder though why there was no change after the popularity of Braveheart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Interesting predictions given the popularity of Outlander I could see this happening, I do wonder though why there was no change after the popularity of Braveheart.
    LOL

With Braveheart, it would have meant the wearing of bad imitation kilts and rags.

I know you're referring to colour, but I couldn't help myself.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a TV series often has a greater cultural impact than a single one-off film.

A series is more persistent, being viewed weekly for however many seasons the show lasts.

At a Highland Games last year there was an Outlander booth amongst the Clan booths!

As popular as Star Wars has been, it seems to me that its popularity is exponentially growing due to The Mandalorian.

Outlander might be part result, part motivator. I've seen Highland Dress move in a earth-toned tweedy direction for years now. Who would have imagined brown tweed Prince Charlies 20 years ago? Now they're widely available.

Like many (all?) trends in Pipe Band dress it kicked off with Solo Piping outfits.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to revive this thread but here's a pipe band competing in 2019 wearing the sort of outfit I'm predicting more and more bands will go towards

-weathered tartan
    -brown sporrans
    -brown tweed waistcoats
    -muted hose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjCGbkj_W-g

Besides a great-looking band, there's fantastic music too!

And a motorway conveniently nearby

No shortage of dunnies either.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th March 20 at 01:17 PM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

No shortage of dunnies either.

Basements???
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Basements???
    "What is a round-house?" asked Steven.

"Well it is not really a round-house, more like a little row-port. But it serves."

"For what?"

"I hardly know how to explain it, sir" said Mowett, blushing. "A necessary-house."

"A jakes? A privy?"

"Just so, sir."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Richard.

In my Scots-English dictionary it refers to the basement of a tennament house and the suggestion is that it comes from the word "dungeon". Not seeing any dungeons in the video, I had to ask.

While I've got you on the line, Richard, I need to tell you how much and how often I appreciate your informed, informative, helpful, and insightful contributions. You're one of my favourite contributors. Thanks. You know your stuff, and ours too!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much!! It means a lot to me.

Dunnies is Australian slang for toilets.

Working at Disneyland, if nothing else, acquaints one with the words for "toilets" in numerous languages (even Strine).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading many years ago that privies on Pitcairn Island (where the Bounty mutineers settled down) are called "Duncans." I wonder if there is a connection. I also wonder how poor Duncan's name got so attached, but I guess the Jakes and Johns of the world have long asked a similar question.

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast