X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "traditional civilian Highland Dress" that's come down to us, which only dates to the beginning of the 20th century, things are very systematised and codified:

Evening Dress means silver metal and black leather.

Day Dress means horn buttons, brown leather sporrans (if the cantle is metal, it's brass) and black shoes.

People back in the 1920s and 1930s were fond of using words like "correct" and "proper".

Before then, in the Victorian period, people didn't hesitate mixing various styles and metals and leathers and fabrics. (Were the Edwardians more systematic than the Victorians? One wonders.)

Nowadays a bit of that Victorian freedom and chaos is returning.

So I wouldn't worry about mixing metals or leathers or fabrics- but be aware that "the tradition" lives on in the minds of many Highland Dress wearers, who might notice things "the tradition" deems incorrect.

Showing up with gold buttons and other gold accessories with Evening Dress will certainly look showy, perhaps something Gordon Walker would do, and get away with nicely.

BTW military Highland Dress has always freely mixed silver and gold tones:

Silver:
    collar badges
    waistbelt and crossbelt hardware, lower crossbelt badge
    plaid brooch
    bagpipe mounts

Gold:
    doublet buttons, lace, and badges
    dirk
    sporran cantle
    bagcover fringe

MIx of silver & gold:
    upper crossbelt badge
    Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd January 20 at 06:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thought occurs to me whilst reading this thread that we are concentrating on the detail and ignoring the big picture.

What attire we wear depends on the occasion or event. On the whole kilt day wear causes most kilt wearers little trouble with their kilt attire. It is when we head into the world of formal wear where things start to go awry with people's kilt attire choices.

Not all formal events are equal and saxon attire wearers have it easy. A morning suit for formal day wear and a dinner suit(tux) for MOST formal evening attire and white tie and tails for the very formal evening events, which for most of us are at least pretty rare, if not non existent.

For kilt attire things get more complicated, not least, because of a toxic mixture of ignorance, poor information, misinformation, drawing wrong conclusions and wishful thinking. We see, almost every week these five things in action on this website and sadly some find accepting that their preconceived ideas are on the wrong track, difficult. Its not in the least bit surprising if you are new to kilt wearing.

Whilst kilt attire does allow for us to dress up rather more conspicuously for assorted events, care really must be taken "not to over-egg the cake". Wearing ultra formal kilt attire for a very ordinary black tie event is a prime example----- after all, formal black tie events outnumber the ultra formal events by many, many tens of times, perhaps hundreds of times--------so discretion with one's kilt attire, particularly for those unsure of kilt attire requirements, needs be exercised.

As an example. Do we really need an ultra formal sporran, or an ultra formal tartan kilt jacket, diced hose, buckle shoes, just to go to most Burns Do's? No.

Take care with your choices chaps.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd January 20 at 07:27 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    The thought occurs to me whilst reading this thread that we are concentrating on the detail and ignoring the big picture.

What attire we wear depends on the occasion or event. On the whole kilt day wear causes most kilt wearers little trouble with their kilt attire. It is when we head into the world of formal wear where things start to go awry with people's kilt attire choices.

Not all formal events are equal and saxon attire wearers have it easy. A morning suit for formal day wear and a dinner suit(tux) for MOST formal evening attire and white tie and tails for the very formal evening events, which for most of us are at least pretty rare, if not non existent.

For kilt attire things get more complicated, not least, because of a toxic mixture of ignorance, poor information, misinformation, drawing wrong conclusions and wishful thinking. We see, almost every week these five things in action on this website and sadly some find accepting that their preconceived ideas are on the wrong track, difficult. Its not in the least bit surprising if you are new to kilt wearing.

Whilst kilt attire does allow for us to dress up rather more conspicuously for assorted events, care really must be taken "not to over-egg the cake". Wearing ultra formal kilt attire for a very ordinary black tie event is a prime example----- after all, formal black tie events outnumber the ultra formal events by many, many tens of times, perhaps hundreds of times--------so discretion with one's kilt attire, particularly for those unsure of kilt attire requirements, needs be exercised.

As an example. Do we really need an ultra formal sporran, or an ultra formal tartan kilt jacket, diced hose, buckle shoes, just to go to most Burns Do's? No.

Take care with your choices chaps.
    I recently ordered a tartan Sheriffmuir and vest on the bias from Rocky. I am going to attempt to reserve it for the odd “ultra formal” event, as you describe, but I suspect that I will be sorely tempted to use it for morning dress and black tie. Perhaps I’ll do what I can to otherwise dress it down, with solid hose and a leather sporran and black cap toe shoes, but I still expect to receive at least some deserved opprobrium.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    I recently ordered a tartan Sheriffmuir and vest on the bias from Rocky. I am going to attempt to reserve it for the odd “ultra formal” event, as you describe, but I suspect that I will be sorely tempted to use it for morning dress and black tie. Perhaps I’ll do what I can to otherwise dress it down, with solid hose and a leather sporran and black cap toe shoes, but I still expect to receive at least some deserved opprobrium.
    Your post illustrates my point exactly!

From a traditional Scottish kilt wearers point of view the wearing a sheriffmuir kilt jacket for a formal day wedding is er, well, um not the right choice.

AND I am absolutely not making fun of you. Its "over-egging' to large amount. From a traditional kilt wearers point of view, a black barathea, silver buttoned, argyll(BBSBA) and drop down tie , with solid colour(not white)hose would be the choice.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd January 20 at 08:28 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post illustrates my point exactly!

From a traditional Scottish kilt wearers point of view the wearing a sheriffmuir kilt jacket for a formal day wedding is er, well, um not the right choice.

AND I am absolutely not making fun of you. Its "over-egging' to large amount. From a traditional kilt wearers point of view, a black barathea, silver buttoned, argyll(BBSBA) and drop down tie , with solid colour(not white)hose would be the choice.
    How egregious do you feel this jacket and vest would be with otherwise understated black tie evening accessories? That is, a black bow tie, black leather sporran, black hose, black cap toe shoes, but kilt, vest, and Sheriffmuir of tartan? Or is the tartan doublet so intrinsically eggy that any attempt to understate it is doomed to failure?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    How egregious do you feel this jacket and vest would be with otherwise understated black tie evening accessories? That is, a black bow tie, black leather sporran, black hose, black cap toe shoes, but kilt, vest, and Sheriffmuir of tartan? Or is the tartan doublet so intrinsically eggy that any attempt to understate it is doomed to failure?
    As an effort to be understated, I am afraid your plans are bound to founder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an effort to be understated, I am afraid your plans are bound to founder.
    So it goes. I’ll make an attempt to hold it in reserve, satisfied at least to be supporting Scottish tailors financially.

If nothing else, the tartan vest will egg my BBSBA nicely.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123