X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

searching for songs

I asked similar before but I'm looking to add a few songs to a classical concert in the summer. If I got my ideal it would be a piano accompaniment of a vocal line in a low voice for two songs Dillion and the Goat as sung by Dermet O'Brien. and My Hearts in the Highlands as sung by Kenneth McKellar. There are a lot of versions on this one but just hoping to get lucky. At worse a song book that is made to be performed by voice and piano. I've seen a lot with melody and chords but if anyone knows of one with an complete arrangement that might be helpful for the future.
    I have found and used a very nice arrangement for Skye Boat, Loch Lomond and Wayfaring Stranger (given credit to scots of the Appalachians) as rendered by Tennessee Ernie Ford but would like more.
    I would really love the Dillion and the Goat as one of my encore songs is The Ugly Duckling because you get to make a pbb spit sound in the chorus and Dillion and the Goat has the pbb spit sound and a Bronx cheer in it every chorus. It doesn't seem worth singing if you can't Pbb every now and then.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the most effective Scottish-themed piece to do with an orchestra is Highland Cathedral featuring a bagpipe solo.

I've performed it many times on pipes accompanied by orchestra, brass ensemble, and Pipe Organ and I have a set of pipes adjusted to be in perfect tune with Concert Pitch.

There's one pipe band in SoCal that can provide several pipers able to play at Concert Pitch, and they too have performed Highland Cathedral many times, Kevin Blandford Memorial.

It's always a hit with the audience.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the "Portree Kid"? A tongue in cheek song, sung to a familiar tune -----if you over 50------by the Corries. In fact, the Corries sang many catchy songs that might well be worth thought. "The Flower of Scotland" was in fact composed by one of the Corries, sorry I cannot remember which one.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th March 20 at 10:23 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just read the OP properly!

Please ignore my first suggestion.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Leezie Lindsay"? Always loved that song.

A tad sombre, but for a beautiful piano piece maybe "Farewell to Stromness" by Peter Maxwell Davies.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not with an orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Perhaps the most effective Scottish-themed piece to do with an orchestra is Highland Cathedral featuring a bagpipe solo.

I've performed it many times on pipes accompanied by orchestra, brass ensemble, and Pipe Organ and I have a set of pipes adjusted to be in perfect tune with Concert Pitch.

There's one pipe band in SoCal that can provide several pipers able to play at Concert Pitch, and they too have performed Highland Cathedral many times, Kevin Blandford Memorial.

It's always a hit with the audience.
    It's a recital. It's only bass and baritone singers. I was asking for this particular song because I've wanted to sing it for a long time and this is the best opportunity. I'm guessing it was only a recording piece but I keep looking I can always hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    "Leezie Lindsay"? Always loved that song.

A tad sombre, but for a beautiful piano piece maybe "Farewell to Stromness" by Peter Maxwell Davies.

John
    There are a lot of great songs out there. I've already done Skye Boat one year. Wayfaring Stranger last year (most musicologists credit it to Appalachian scots 1700s). Loch Lomond and The Scotsman another year. I appreciate the advise but this year I have put my efforts into getting this song. I still have to august so hopefully will find it. It may just exist in a recording lead sheet.
    As an opera singer the opportunity to sing this genre is rare. It's one of the great things about the concert. Plenty of classical music but also secret sins if you will, things we love from other genre. There are 7 guys that sing an old song called "Come Here My Little Wifey", We end with all singing "The Volga Boat Song" I did a Sammy Kaye song called "Wanderin" last year. There's a couple of country and western songs (the music of my youth) I will do some day.
    For any one interested this is one song I intend to do this year. German lieder by Franz Schubert. The gist is it's late at night on a quiet street as a man stands on a street corner looking at the home of his lost love. He sees a man standing there wringing his hands and looking into the sky. He trembles as the moon shines on the other mans face and he realizes it's his face. The bass singing it is really incredible https://youtu.be/15UPmZeTTlU

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the alternative I've considered

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have just read the OP properly!

Please ignore my first suggestion.
    Is "Donald Where's Your Trousers"