X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accidental kilting

I'm a thrift store junky and I have bee searching the skirt racks of thrift stores for the unlikely event that someone would have donated a kilt. I assumed the store would not recognize a kilt as a kilt and would put it with the skirts. Well, much to my surprise, yesterday, I did find one. I saw the waist was right and it appeared to be brand new, so without much more consideration, I payed the $6.99 price (plus tax) and it was mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	38062

When I got it home and tried it on the length was very close to spot on when worn at my natural wait, a few inches above the belly button. Also it was much thicker than my Sports kilt and the pleating was much thiner and nicer.

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	38063

Burn test to my nose says it is PV and the Tartan, IMO is Royal Steuart, although their is no green. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

But the odd thing about this its there are only 2 straps. The hip strap is missing. There is also not brand label on it. The only kilt I could find online that is without a hip strap is the USA Kilt Military Kilt.

https://usakilts.com/blog/military-k...eenactors.html

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	38065

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	38066

But the USA Kilts kilt is real Wool and mine is PV. Anyone have any idea who might have made this kilt.

I like the Steuart Tartan and the way this kilt was made. Not a bad choice for second kilt even if a lot of luck played into it. I'm sure I'll pay a lot more for the 3rd!

Dave
    Last edited by Crazy Dave; 19th January 20 at 05:49 PM. Reason: bad grammar in proof read.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post: