X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right then, you've talked me into it. I've just purchased a Mackie. All black but for the red atop it.
    I'm excited to see it, to be sure. I am confident you gentlemen are very good judges of quality. So, I feel confident that I'll be pleased.

Thanks for the good advice,
    Paul

HAT_GLENGARRY_ROBERT_MACKIE_BLACK_SIDE.jpg

HAT_GLENGARRY_ROBERT_MACKIE_BLACK_LABEL.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to PinellasPaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay so Robert Mackie are the best you can get. But if you need to compromise on price military surplus is an good option and worth a look.

You are going to get some of high quality. Main iusse is wear and tear and sizing. With anything second hand is a bit of "hit and miss" but you can get lucky.I my be waiting game and require some patience.

I am in Australia so Robert Mackie are uber expensive. Add on the bad exchange rate,tax and postage. I am going to wear this hat a few times a year so hard to see it wear out any time soon.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Dingo View Post
    Okay so Robert Mackie are the best you can get. But if you need to compromise on price military surplus is an good option and worth a look.

You are going to get some of high quality. Main iusse is wear and tear and sizing. With anything second hand is a bit of "hit and miss" but you can get lucky.I my be waiting game and require some patience.

I am in Australia so Robert Mackie are uber expensive. Add on the bad exchange rate,tax and postage. I am going to wear this hat a few times a year so hard to see it wear out any time soon.
    Just a thought. I don't know if you are a bandsman where a glengarry might be part of your uniform, but if you are not, do you really need a glengarry? They are not really terribly useful as a bonnet and are not really------almost never----- worn by many traditional kilt wearers in this part of the world. Fine, if you really want one then carry on, but if not, the glengarry is really the absolute last thing on most people's shopping list.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd April 20 at 02:25 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just a thought. I don't know if you are a bandsman where a glengarry might be part of your uniform, but if you are not, do you really need a glengarry? They are not really terribly useful as a bonnet and are not really------almost never----- worn by many traditional kilt wearers in this part of the world. Fine, if you really want one then carry on, but if not, the glengarry is really the absolute last thing on most people's shopping list.
    The glengarry is acceptable with civilian highland dress, but barmoral is more common.I would say it is a matter of personal preference.

I will get both hats at some point at the moment I just have the glengarry I got off ebay.

Not sure why I wanted this style hat first but I will get my barmoral Robert Mackie down the road.I have aways dislike the term "Balmoral" bonnet as I am not a fan of the monarchy. Obviously the hat is based older design. Perhaps my dislike for the word Balmoral has subconsciously influenced my decision.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Dingo View Post
    The glengarry is acceptable with civilian highland dress, but barmoral is more common.I would say it is a matter of personal preference.

I will get both hats at some point at the moment I just have the glengarry I got off ebay.

Not sure why I wanted this style hat first but I will get my barmoral Robert Mackie down the road.I have aways dislike the term "Balmoral" bonnet as I am not a fan of the monarchy. Obviously the hat is based older design. Perhaps my dislike for the word Balmoral has subconsciously influenced my decision.
    It is indeed a matter of personal preference and most kilt wearers here, outwith the band scene, prefer to go bareheaded, with perhaps a Clan gathering as an exception for some. "Balmoral" as far as the bonnet is concerned is just a name and as far as I am aware has nothing to do with the Royals as such. In fact I cannot remember seeing a picture of any modern Royal in civilian kilt attire wearing a bonnet at all. Just like most of the rest of us in usual and even, sometimes, in unusual weather conditions.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd April 20 at 06:11 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hat of choice whether I'm wearing a kilt or not is a flat cap. i currently own 3, but I do think that a glengarry can look quite smart particularly in the pictures of John Brown (Queen Victoria's servant).

Dave
    Last edited by Crazy Dave; 22nd April 20 at 10:09 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a balmoral (from GlengarryHats) that I think looks quite nice, but I almost always wear flat caps instead. They don't stand out quite as much for normal casual kilt wearing, IMHO. But I'm glad I have one for more of "special event" kind of uses.
    Last edited by MichiganKyle; 22nd April 20 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Where I got the balmoral

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy once, cry once.

Buy once, cry once. I have learned this the hard way a few times. If you can afford it, get the top quality item - first! It only hurts once.

I found a very economical U.S. source of Robert Mackie glengarries, but I'm hesitant to disclose it until I find out if they will really fulfill my order. Ordered on Oct. 8, 2020, I'll report if it's ever delivered, and whether it's authentic.

jv

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jviss For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my Mackie Glengarry from Carolina Celt today. It's the genuine article; black with a black pom (no red poms in stock): $65. Free shipping at that price. I haven't seen a lower price.

I called the gentleman after a couple of days which I think expedited my order, but he was very pleasant and accommodating.

Cheers,

jv

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just a thought. I don't know if you are a bandsman where a glengarry might be part of your uniform, but if you are not, do you really need a glengarry?
    He's a piper. It's a piper thing

It does make me think about the rise and fall of the popularity of the Glengarry.

Up through the end of the 18th century there were only Balmorals, the traditional Highland bonnet.

Glengarries started out merely as a method of "blocking" a Balmoral, possibly in the military, possibly due to the bonnets being folded flat when packed away.

For whatever reason by the mid-19th century Glengarries and Balmorals had equal popularity in civilian Highland Dress. BTW the Victorian civilian Glengarries were nearly always plain (and always dark blue) as were the Glengarries of The Black Watch and The Cameron Highlanders, and the Glengarries of all army pipers.

Around WWI Glengarries suffered a rapid decline in civilian popularity, though they never died out altogether as a civilian bonnet.

If vintage photos and my own 45 year experience are guides, Glengarries have long been more popular with pipers than non-pipers.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st October 20 at 06:34 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast