X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Affordable Glengarry Suggestions Guys?

So I have been on the look out for an affordable but good quality glengarry bonnet for a while. Searching on Esty or eBay seems to just yield a lot of poor quality "made in India" style glengarry bonnets. Some my be better that others but I am just not sold at this point.

I am trying to get a glengarry with no dicing just black,this just makes the whole thing that bit harder. I don't mind a vintage hat at all but most are x-army are with dicing. Also vintage glengarry's are often sold with the cap badge jacking up the price. Also with vintage hats you have to be a bit lucky to get the correct size.

So looking for ..

Plain black glengarry with no dicing

Size 60 cm UK 7/34

Can be new or vintage

Price range around $50USD

Could live with made in India if good quality

So any suggestions guys?

bonnet.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...53.m1438.l2649

This is one of the best ones I have seen on eBay. Not my size and overcharging on shipping . But I like the overall style..
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 19th January 20 at 10:00 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you, I’d seriously consider this:

https://www.jhiggins.net/glengarry-plain-black/

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that looks good and in the correct price range. One thing is they used the exactly the same photograph for the $40 and $80 Glengarry hats.

Screenshot_20200121-064631_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-064620_Samsung Internet.jpg

Double the price for the same product?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have twice had wonderfull luck with https://www.glengarryhats.com/glengarryhats.php They are made in Pakistan, but the quality is really top notch.

My last Balmoral came from them:

Lining:

My earlier Balmoral also came from Ian:

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Dingo View Post
    Thanks for that looks good and in the correct price range. One thing is they used the exactly the same photograph for the $40 and $80 Glengarry hats.

Double the price for the same product?
    When I view it, the $85 version is a Robert Mackie bonnet with dicing.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    When I view it, the $85 version is a Robert Mackie bonnet with dicing.

SM
    My point is if you look closely you can it is the exact same photo was use in for both hats.

In my book that is a bit of a little sloppy. If you are selling a product online you sould have photo of the actual product. So logically one of these photographs is incorrect.It is not representing the correct product.
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 20th January 20 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is if you look closely you can it is the exact same photo was use in for both hats.

In my book that is a bit of a little sloppy. If you are selling a product online you sould have photo of the actual product. So logically one of these photographs is incorrect.It is not representing the correct product.
    I must be looking at a different screen than you, because in my view, the differences are obvious and the photos are different.

EDIT: I do see what you're saying, when I scrolled down a bit. So you may have a point about "sloppiness" in regard to the photos. That said, I've had nothing but good experiences purchasing bonnets from Higgins, though in my case they were Balmorals (4).
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 20th January 20 at 02:36 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I must be looking at a different screen than you, because in my view, the differences are obvious and the photos are different.

EDIT: I do see what you're saying, when I scrolled down a bit. So you may have a point about "sloppiness" in regard to the photos. That said, I've had nothing but good experiences purchasing bonnets from Higgins, though in my case they were Balmorals (4).
    Screenshot_20200121-064631_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20200121-064620_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is easy to miss and lot of folk would not pick up on it. But definitely the same photo used for two diffrent products.Same stlye of hat at two very different price points.

Looks like they've changed the colour contrast a little bit when editing on one pic .This must of been to make them look at least a little different.

This my sound a little pedantic .But if you're shopping online you want a photograph of what you are geting.

So I wonder what the difference if any? Because there is quite a gap in price?
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 20th January 20 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I have twice had wonderfull luck with https://www.glengarryhats.com/glengarryhats.php They are made in Pakistan, but the quality is really top notch.

My last Balmoral came from them:

Lining:

My earlier Balmoral also came from Ian:

Looks pretty goods Father hits all the required all the required specifications. Had stumbled across this website before but was unsure on how legitimately it was. Makes the shortlist for sure...

Can I ask where you got the cap badge?
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 20th January 20 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I wonder what the difference if any? Because there is quite a gap in price?
    I've no idea who makes the $40 version — could well be Pakastani (though a call to J. Higgins would certainly clear it up), but the Robert Mackie bonnets are very good quality products. You can see all the other options available, which do indeed seem to be Mackie bonnets from the color schemes. I'd be willing to bet there's a difference between the two, but it would indeed be helpful to see a photo of the actual item.

That said, the $40 bonnet seems to get good reviews, so it'd likely be worth a shot.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast