X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Dingo View Post
    Looks pretty goods Father hits all the required all the required specifications. Had stumbled across this website before but was unsure on how legitimately it was. Makes the shortlist for sure...

Can I ask where you got the cap badge?
    I think both cap badges came from McLeod's Scottish in Stratford Ontario, but they're both Glen Esk and commonly available.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 21st April 20 at 03:56 PM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions and help so far lady's. Still on the fence a bit a mulling things over.

I will pull the trigger in a week or two and report back.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a piper who has been wearing Glengarries regularly for over 40 years, it's my opinion that bonnets are basically in two categories: Robert Mackie and everybody else.

I still wear a Mackie Balmoral and a Mackie Glengarry that I got back in the 1980s.

Our local Highland Outfitter has only sold Mackies their entire time in business.

Around a year ago I picked up a legit-looking Glengarry, not cheap, from another Highland Outfitter who I know to be of good repute, and though the Glengarry is nice enough it's just not quite the same as a Mackie. It seems to get its feel of substance from some sort of stiffening, while Mackies get their substantial quality feel from the quality of the materials and workmanship. They keep their shape for at least 40 years, going from mine.

I just can't wear that new Glengarry, it doesn't look or feel quite right. I'll pass it along to a band-mate and soldier on with the 40-year-old Mackie.

BTW be aware that Glengarries and Balmorals have long been made (by Mackie) in an extremely dark blue and in black.

Nearly every Pipe Band on earth has a mix of the two, which are only distinguishable in good light.

Blue has been the traditional colour since at least the 18th century and is still standard in the military.

IMHO black looks best with civilian black Barathea jackets such as the Argyll and Prince Charlie.

IMHO blue looks best with Day Dress tweeds.

Though really only outdoors in the sun can you tell them apart.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd January 20 at 05:51 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what I can gather Robert Mackie and is the best out there. But with exchange rate and shipping to Australia it was worth exploring all the alternatives.

I ended up get a vintage glengarry from eBay. It is from the London Scottish regimen.Originally made in the 90s maybe. I will post a few photos when I get it in the post.

20200123_070547.jpg
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 22nd January 20 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your help gentleman.

Got my eBay purchase X London Scottish Glengarry today. Of course the first thing I did this to remove the cap badge. I plan to try and sell this on eBay later.

Overall fit is good and generally and quite pleased with it.The toorie is a little flattened but overall construction seems good. No makers name or tag just the hat size. Perhaps made in the UK I am not 100% sure. Looks to of to been used just in storage for a long time.

20200204_125411.jpg

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g4.jpg
    Last edited by Howling Dingo; 3rd February 20 at 08:08 PM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Howling Dingo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I have twice had wonderfull luck with https://www.glengarryhats.com/glengarryhats.php They are made in Pakistan, but the quality is really top notch.

My last Balmoral came from them:

My earlier Balmoral also came from Ian:

I'm with Father Bill.
    I rec'd a Glengarry hat from glengarryhats.com just yesterday. I was quite pleased with all aspects of service and delivery. And the Glengarry itself seems to be very good quality. I was a bit concerned about the fit, as I wear a size 7&7/8, or a 63. Sometimes it's hard to get a good fit on a tremendous noggin. But the fit was excellent.

Very happy customer here.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to PinellasPaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's putting "affordable" in a different light.

The amount I had to spend on Glengarries and Balmorals in the decade 1990-1999: zero.

The decade 2000-2009: zero.

2010-2020: zero.

Hard to get more affordable than that!

(I still wear Mackies I bought in the 80s.)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR.

I can relate to your post above, but, those new to the kilt and its attire do have to start somewhere. For what it is worth, I would suggest to anyone purchasing a bonnet from scratch, then they should consider seriously buying the best available if at all possible. OCR's post above does make a salient point.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 21st April 20 at 04:50 AM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started with all of this I purchased a blue balmoral from Glengarry hats, later I purchased two Robert Mackie balmorals from an Ebay seller. Over a decade after those purchases I never wear the blue one, in fact I couldn't tell you where it is, but I still wear the Mackie balmorals.

Looking back I would have been better off just saving for the best that I could afford, I like to think of this as a marathon rather than a sprint. If you save and are patient you eventually will get exactly what you want. The same can be said for kilt hose I purchased a bunch of cheap kilt hose at the start and never wear those any longer either.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 21st April 20 at 04:45 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have been in business since 1845. "They keep their shape for at least 40 years, going from mine." I don't think i'll keep my shape for the next 40 years! When I do buy quality, I never say to myself afterwords that I should have bought the cheaper one. Thanks for the info!

I have a Stetson tweed wool hat. There is nothing like quality wool.

Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast