X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

origins of the black watch tartan

Comrades,

I have heard that the black watch tartan and its variants is quite old and that many of George Wade's soldiers wore it to patrol the Highlands in the 1720s. Pardon my ignorance but -- as far as we know -- what are some possible origins of that tartan?

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Black Watch tartan, associated with the British infantry regiment of the same name, has a long history. Alternatively known as Grant Hunting or Government tartan, Black Watch tartan was worn first by the six “watch” companies that once patrolled the Highlands.
    General George Wade, with authorisation from George I, formed these six companies in 1725 following the Jacobite rebellion of 1715. The Black Watch, as they would come to be known, were employed to rid the Highlands of criminals, rebels and to deter fighting between rival clans.
    The original six companies consisted of three from Clan Campbell and one from each of Clan Munro, Clan Fraser of Lovat and Clan Grant. The tartan itself was produced by over 60 weavers in the Strathspey area which was home to Clan Grant. The dark blue, black and green plaid that we know today as Black Watch is believed to have been a tartan of Clan Grant originally, hence the alternative name Grant Hunting. Given that half of the six original companies were Campbells though, the origin of the plaid may belong to this Clan.

The companies of the Black Watch were later expanded to ten and then merged into a single regiment. In 2006 all six army regiments that existed in Scotland were merged to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland. This new regiment was given the Government tartan as their own.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this concise and informative history. If my limited history serves me at all, wouldn't the time of Wade be better there were clan tartans? Or would the tartan have simply been a tartan popular in that region, as opposed to a clan tartan.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    The Black Watch tartan, associated with the British infantry regiment of the same name, has a long history. Alternatively known as Grant Hunting or Government tartan, Black Watch tartan was worn first by the six “watch” companies that once patrolled the Highlands.
    General George Wade, with authorisation from George I, formed these six companies in 1725 following the Jacobite rebellion of 1715. The Black Watch, as they would come to be known, were employed to rid the Highlands of criminals, rebels and to deter fighting between rival clans.
    The original six companies consisted of three from Clan Campbell and one from each of Clan Munro, Clan Fraser of Lovat and Clan Grant. The tartan itself was produced by over 60 weavers in the Strathspey area which was home to Clan Grant. The dark blue, black and green plaid that we know today as Black Watch is believed to have been a tartan of Clan Grant originally, hence the alternative name Grant Hunting. Given that half of the six original companies were Campbells though, the origin of the plaid may belong to this Clan.

The companies of the Black Watch were later expanded to ten and then merged into a single regiment. In 2006 all six army regiments that existed in Scotland were merged to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland. This new regiment was given the Government tartan as their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has always been some argument over the origins tbh (and I'm no expert, having only served on attachment). The website might assist you further though: https://theblackwatch.co.uk/history/
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a whole lot of unknown areas, and even things that are outright ignored. Like the multiple images from the Mutiny thru 45-46 that show members of the regiment wearing a red/yellow based tartan. To even contemplate that "Black Watch" was not exactly as stated in the regimental history, it can get you in hot water.

What ever you do, dont bring up the fact that the Regimental pipers were wearing a Red hackle as early as 1758!!!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    There are a whole lot of unknown areas, and even things that are outright ignored. Like the multiple images from the Mutiny thru 45-46 that show members of the regiment wearing a red/yellow based tartan. To even contemplate that "Black Watch" was not exactly as stated in the regimental history, it can get you in hot water.

What ever you do, dont bring up the fact that the Regimental pipers were wearing a Red hackle as early as 1758!!!
    Thanks Luke!

Yes, I've heard it said that history is an argument about the past.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Blaidd but I have to take issue with some of your reply.

This is one of the stories about its origins. Unfortunately, hard facts don't exist to support this. May have been worn, yes; but was worn, there is no evidence.

The tartan itself was produced by over 60 weavers in the Strathspey area which was home to Clan Grant.
    It is not certain that the Strathspey weavers wove the material for all the HICs. It's entirely possible that they only wove for the northern companies and that the companies raised by the Campbells had their material woven elsewhere.

The dark blue, black and green plaid that we know today as Black Watch is believed to have been a tartan of Clan Grant originally, hence the alternative name Grant Hunting.
    Believed by whom? There is no evidence to support the Grants having worn this prior to its adoption by the regiment. The name Grant, Hunting comes from a collection formed in 1810.

Given that half of the six original companies were Campbells though, the origin of the plaid may belong to this Clan.
    The Campbells have claimed it as such for many years but again, there is no proof.

In 2006 all six army regiments that existed in Scotland were merged to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland. This new regiment was given the Government tartan as their own.
    At risk of being pedantic, it was the six Scottish regular army infantry regiments, plus the two Territorial ones.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a million, Figheadair for the contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Sorry Blaidd but I have to take issue with some of your reply.

This is one of the stories about its origins. Unfortunately, hard facts don't exist to support this. May have been worn, yes; but was worn, there is no evidence.

It is not certain that the Strathspey weavers wove the material for all the HICs. It's entirely possible that they only wove for the northern companies and that the companies raised by the Campbells had their material woven elsewhere.

Believed by whom? There is no evidence to support the Grants having worn this prior to its adoption by the regiment. The name Grant, Hunting comes from a collection formed in 1810.

The Campbells have claimed it as such for many years but again, there is no proof.

At risk of being pedantic, it was the six Scottish regular army infantry regiments, plus the two Territorial ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to muddy the waters further....
    I read a report several years ago that the original name for the Black Watch was the Keith-Campbell highlanders (of whom the Campbells made up the greater members). The Black Watch tartan is the same as the Keith modern tartan, but with colors switched, (and Campbell is very similar also in ancient).
    I wish I could remember what book it was that I read this, but ...
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bdkilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    Just to muddy the waters further....
    I read a report several years ago that the original name for the Black Watch was the Keith-Campbell highlanders (of whom the Campbells made up the greater members). The Black Watch tartan is the same as the Keith modern tartan, but with colors switched, (and Campbell is very similar also in ancient).
    I wish I could remember what book it was that I read this, but ...

No, Keith's and Campbell's Highlanders were raised 15 plus years after the Highland Independent companies were made into the Highland Regiment.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071019...o.uk/keith.htm

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast