X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

top band of kilt

When people are making kilts, I notice that some folks try to match the tartan of the kilt with the tartan stripes on the top band. Some kiltmakers don't bother to match the lines and then some kilts have a different colour band along the top: some green, some black. I'm assuming this is ultimately personal preference but I suspect there may be a civilian vs. military thing going on. Could someone sort me out?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jthk

First let me start out by saying I'm not a kilt maker! There is a kiltmaker on you tube named Robert Macdonald who covers all aspects of kilt making and will tell what the different color bands are for.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNL6m1-GaRk Green signifies military though if you are a veteran and go to him for a kilt ex. Seaforth Highlanders and served in that unit he'll give you a green band on your kilt. He covers the tartan band on a kilt he made and how hard it is some times to line up the tartan.
    That said any kilt maker worth their salt - Barb T, Steve Ashton, Robert Macdonald et al; will make sure the tartan band on top will match the kilt perfectly.
    That said as a US Army veteran if I had a regimental kilt made I think I would ask for a black top waist band.
    Hope this helps.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a million!

Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    jthk

First let me start out by saying I'm not a kilt maker! There is a kiltmaker on you tube named Robert Macdonald who covers all aspects of kilt making and will tell what the different color bands are for.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNL6m1-GaRk Green signifies military though if you are a veteran and go to him for a kilt ex. Seaforth Highlanders and served in that unit he'll give you a green band on your kilt. He covers the tartan band on a kilt he made and how hard it is some times to line up the tartan.
    That said any kilt maker worth their salt - Barb T, Steve Ashton, Robert Macdonald et al; will make sure the tartan band on top will match the kilt perfectly.
    That said as a US Army veteran if I had a regimental kilt made I think I would ask for a black top waist band.
    Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of stuff out there stated like it is fact. The truth is - we don't really know why the top band of some kilts were made from different colors or if there was any 'standard' or unit designation.

It is quite possible that they were using what they had on hand and that they chose horse blanket binding.

Yes, many of the military kilts that I have seen have a green twill tape top band. The current RRS kilts use a black Twill tape. It is very possible that some of the really old kilts in museums have something else. Peter would be the one to know.

And it is very possible that a color or material was used for a while and could possibly change due to a different kiltmaker, contract, or whim of the RSM. And yes, military uniform regulations change all the time. In my experience a change of RSM can result in a total change of how the kilt would be made and worn.

But what color a person chooses for the top band is really up to the person laying down their money. Today it is usual for non military contract kilts for the top band to be Tartan fabric from the center of the double-width fabric. It is also usual that the Tartan of the top band is aligned with the Tartan of the outer apron.

But if you are not in a military unit, and subject to the uniform requirements of that unit, there are no hard and fast rules that you could somehow violate.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Steve says, there is a lot of information about tartans and kilts presented as fact. The true is often far more nuanced.

Modern kilts have a waistband to enclose the raw edge which would otherwise fray and look untidy. Historically all kilts before c1840, military or civilian, were made from the full width of the material, which was narrower than today’s cloth, 22-25 inches. There is the odd surviving example that includes a waistband which was always added to allow for a longer length/to raise the waist height.

The earliest waistband on a military kilt I’ve seen is on the pleated section only of a surviving Crimea era Black Watch kilt, probably because the pleats were cut at the waist. That waistband, if that is what one would call it, is made from ticking (white based striped cloth). The use of bais tape on military kilts dates from the second half of the 19th century, probably quite late. Green was the most common colour but red was used on some red based tartans, Royal Stewart etc., and both seem to have been a feature of OR’s kilts. Officer’s kilts and plain kilts (London Scottish, Irish Guards etc.,) had a finer tape that was usual black or brown,

A good modern civilian kilt will usually have the tartan match to the front apron. In the past it was not uncommon for a kiltmaker to use a completely different tartan for the band, a feature that can look quite effective.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and just to carry the thought along, the tartan of the waistband usually matches the lines of the tartan of the outer apron, but once you get into the pleats, all bets are off. IF the kilt is pleated to the stripe then there is no possibility of matching at all; and even if the kilt is pleated to the sett, the sett in the pleats is an approximation of the actually sett of the tartan, and is pleated to contain all the elements but this can mean that certain blocks will be slightly larger or smaller than in the "true" sett, if that makes sense.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a kiltmaker's perspective, I was taught to match the stripes in the apron and the top band. But, sometimes there really isn't any choice but to not have a match. I made a kilt for a VERY tall guy awhile back, and there was literally nothing left to make a top band except a weft-wise strip. Because tartan is never quite a 45° weave, the sett measured parallel to the warp is never the same as that measured parallel to the weft, so, it's impossible to match the tartan in a weft-wise top band with the tartan at the top of the apron, whose edge is warp-wise. I agonized, of course, but it looked fine in the end because it was so far off that it was clear that it was never meant to match.

What DOES drive me crazy are the kilts where the kiltmaker has clearly intended to match the tartan in the apron but the top band is off by a little bit in a few places. To me, that's just sloppy. If it's supposed to match, it should match. When I'm putting a top band on and I find a part that doesn't match in the apron, I take out the stitching and fix it so that it matches precisely. To me, having a top band that was never intended to match is no crime; having one that was intended to match but that was put on carelessly is a question of workmanship.

And every once in awhile, the stars align, and the top band matches in BOTH the apron and the underapron. The first time that happened to me was in a kilt I made for Matt Newsome. And he was one of the only people who would have appreciated the coincidence!

And sometimes the stars REALLY align! The first kilt I made for my grandson was pleated to the sett and had a top band that matched in the apron, the underapron, AND the pleats!!! Never had that happen in another kilt.

Last edited by Barb T; 28th January 20 at 07:09 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

13. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post: