X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    My Balmoral from glengarryhats.com has a black lining, which also appears to be synthetic, like nylon or similar. It's a thinner lining material than the Mackie.
    GlengarryHats lists their hats as being silk-lined. I ordered one a couple days ago, and it should be arriving on the 31st, so I guess I can report back when I get it - see if it's any different.

Some good insights in this thread. I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    GlengarryHats lists their hats as being silk-lined. I ordered one a couple days ago, and it should be arriving on the 31st, so I guess I can report back when I get it - see if it's any different.

Some good insights in this thread. I appreciate everyone's help with this.
    Thanks for the info! My first guess was silk, but I wouldn't have suspected that they'd use silk on a lower-budget bonnet. I'm surprised. That does explain it being thinner than the Mackie lining.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently line mine with polarfleece, either fully, or with at least a partial hatband. It's also possible to retrofit a fleece band (or just a partial one across the front) by hand sewing. Contrary to what one might think, I haven't found that the fleece makes them much hotter in summer than a more typical lining or hatband.

I have a pdf pattern for sewing one from tweed or similar cloth, along with step by step photos and instructions in my Dropbox stuff. I normally build mine to lean to the left (unlike the usual trend). The reason is that I often wear one when target shooting a big Sharps buffalo rifle and worn the other way the hat bumps the ladder sight. The pattern's instructions tell how to switch things around if desired, as the hat pattern is not perfectly round and symmetrical. Feel free to download and play with the pattern if you want to try making one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w9bonwwie...ySqwmf5ta?dl=0

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nicely done Sir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Todd Bradshaw
    Very nicely done Sir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I have a pdf pattern for sewing one from tweed or similar cloth, along with step by step photos and instructions in my Dropbox stuff.
    Very nice - even a scale for different hat sizes. That looks amazing. Downloaded. Thank you!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I even tried one with a Cheviot tweed which matches one of my kilt jackets and using a strip of tartan for the hat band, the same way dicing is used. I'm not convinced that I'm sold on the result, but it was one of those "one way to find out if you like it" things. Once you start making them, they're pretty much dirt cheap and if you make one that you don't like, or which doesn't fit well, it is no big deal. On to the next one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3lpscub55...re-9a.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 29th January 20 at 02:48 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GlengarryHats belmoral arrived. It's definitely lined, but with what I couldn't say. My guess would be some kind of polymer - maybe nylon or a polyester blend - based on the sheen and the pattern of faux "quilting" dots that appear to be stamped into the material. I'll see if I can post a picture later. Looks like it could use a good Jocking to soften it up a bit, but overall, it seems serviceable enough.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of balmorals--neither is a Mackie. Both have quilted linings with a silky-satin feel. i don't know what the material actually is.

I made a costume tam a few years ago to wear when running a race. I bought cotton material in a tartan print at Wal-Mart and used a red tennis-style terrycloth headband as the sweatband of the hat. I just cut a big roud piece, a similar size piece with a hole sized for my head, sewed them together and then attached the sweatband. I topped it off with a toorie I made using bright green yarn and the directions from the book "So You're Going to Wear the Kilt." I used vecro to attach the toorie, so I could remove it and throw the hat in the washing machine after a race.

It shouldn't be too hard for you to make something similar in another material if it would fit your needs.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balmoral 2020-02.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	38166

Picture of the inside of the balmoral from GlengarryHats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12