X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-Wool Tams/Balmorals?

Is there a good source out there for either tams or balmorals which are not made from wool? I mostly wear flat caps and would like to buy either a tam or balmoral, but I have really sensitive skin and have developed a wool sensitivity as I've gotten older. I've had to retire any clothing with wool in it in favor other either synthetics or hypoallergenic natural fibers like cotton, bamboo, and alpaca. So far, about all I've found is either full wool or a wool blend. Wouldn't be a problem if it was wool on top with something like a silk or synthetic hatband - I'd probably only last half an hour at most with a wool hatband. I could understand the construction challenges with trying to make a balmoral from anything that wouldn't felt, but I'd think at least a tam would be possible. Maybe even modifying a wool one and adding a layer of different material to the band. But, at any rate, any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mackie Balmorals, as well as the ones from glengarryhats.com, are fully lined inside with non wool materials. There is no wool contact with the head on these.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! For $40, the ones from glengarryhats.com look like they'd be worth a try. And once I figure out proper fit, I may just move up to a Robert Mackie. Thank you!

(I wish people would actually say what a hat is lined with, if it is lined. I don't see anywhere on Robert Mackie where it lists that information. Without this forum, I wouldn't have known.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Thank you! For $40, the ones from glengarryhats.com look like they'd be worth a try. And once I figure out proper fit, I may just move up to a Robert Mackie. Thank you!

(I wish people would actually say what a hat is lined with, if it is lined. I don't see anywhere on Robert Mackie where it lists that information. Without this forum, I wouldn't have known.)
    Perhaps a photo of the interior would help, eh?
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    Yes, that would help considerably. But even if they just listed that it *had* a lining, and what it was made of, that would help.

Am I correct in my understanding that tams are generally not lined but balmorals generally are? At this point, I own neither.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    Here’s a photo showing the interior of both a plain (left) and diced bonnet (right).

The lining seems to be cotton and extends to the grosgrain ribbon band.

Hope that helps!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At one time, I had directions for constructing a cloth Tam, and had made a couple out of polyester fleece fabric. I'm sure that they are still available somewhere on the internet, and if you know someone who sews (better than I do), you can have a few made.
    ---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Really a McQueen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    The lining seems to be cotton and extends to the grosgrain ribbon band.
    Hmm, I'd have to go look at my Mackie more closely, but from memory, mine doesn't seem like cotton. It's more of a synthetic material like nylon and has a slight sheen to the weave. And interestingly enough, mine is a fawn-coloured lining, not black like yours, even though the outer colour of the wool is the same. I purchased mine in 2012; I wonder if they have changed some things in the newer-made versions.

This is the only photo I have of the lining in my Mackie (I was taking a picture of the stitching I'd done at the rear). But you can see the weave and sheen of the lining.

My Balmoral from glengarryhats.com has a black lining, which also appears to be synthetic, like nylon or similar. It's a thinner lining material than the Mackie.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Hmm, I'd have to go look at my Mackie more closely, but from memory, mine doesn't seem like cotton. It's more of a synthetic material like nylon and has a slight sheen to the weave. And interestingly enough, mine is a fawn-coloured lining, not black like yours, even though the outer colour of the wool is the same. I purchased mine in 2012; I wonder if they have changed some things in the newer-made versions.
    That is interesting. I was slow to adopt the balmoral, so I've probably only been wearing them for the past eight years or so. During that time, I've purchased four Mackie bonnets in different colors.

All have a flat black quilted lining, including my fawn bonnet, which was my first and the most recent — the pictured Lovat green with dicing — which I received only last week. (And it was a result of "bonnet envy" I'd suffered since seeing yours back in October!)

I wonder why the lining seems to vary? I know that Arnot deals with them. Perhaps he has some insight (or could find out!) and will weigh in.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I wonder why the lining seems to vary? I know that Arnot deals with them. Perhaps he has some insight (or could find out!) and will weigh in. SM
    I know what you mean about the different linings in the Mackie bonnets. It appears that they changed somewhere along the way. All of my old bonnets have had the shiny nylon sort of lining. I have had an account with Robert Mackie since 2015 and all the bonnets I have bought myself or sourced for others have had a cotton lining. I don't know exactly when the change was made, though. If you like, I can find out.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast