X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dalgliesh Balmoral Kilt Issue

I could post a picture. I have contacted scotweb to see what if any thing should be done.

I received 3 Balmoral kilts in DcDagliesh Fabric that I bought in a flash sale on clan.com last october. The discount was impressive(30%).

One of the kilts has the an inch hem along the bottom. The fabric looks like it has the kilted selvedge. The top 3/8 inch t rim is in black. The kilt is about 25.5 “ long. The ordered length was 26”.

This is not one of their hand sewn kilts. It is in a custom pattern that I might not have taken the chance on except for the sale. The price was around 530 GBP plus shipping.

I have three hand sewn kilts from scotweb in custom registered patterns that turned out wonderfully.

How is this sewn hem going to affect the kilt over its life?

https://ibb.co/yp9tQSw
    https://ibb.co/nf9tsSH
    https://ibb.co/HhtvDHM

I think the kilt was stitched as if it was a scotweb 8 yard essentials kilt that uses the Marton Mills Poly/Viscose fabrics which require hems.

I was hesitant to put this here. The quality of scotweb's contractors seems to be great. I have encountered another advertiser on this forum that had a monopoly on a limited run tartan that is owned by a third party, where the products were not up to the same standards or consistency.
    Last edited by AustinDiver; 28th January 20 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Adding image links and information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture link says YOU NEED PERMISSION. It then says to ask for permission or switch to an account that has permission.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed

I put them on a different hosting site:

https://ibb.co/yp9tQSw
    https://ibb.co/nf9tsSH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top band is a matter of aesthetics, not a concern for durability. Single-width fabric is usually woven about 26”, so I think what you’ve run into is that your kilt is too long to be able to use a traditional top tartan binding. The hem does indeed look like it’s sewn on fabric that has a kilting selvedge. I think I’d wait to hear from Nick at Scotweb. On the plus side, perhaps the hem could be removed to get the length you need.
    Last edited by davidlpope; 28th January 20 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will wait. The kilt has a slightly different appearance than the other 2.

I am not sure that I am worried about the length. Scotweb/clan.com sizing has been pretty close to what I needed.

24" or 23.5" length is definitely too short for my tastes. I got a DC Dalgliesh on clearance that was 25" or so in length. It is a little wide in the waist and I will probably need to move the strap at some point. The length is actually a good starting point. I would say that I should stick with 25" - 26" length.

The seat was a couple of inches more than what I though that I needed. I have used that seat 43" for my other kilts. I like the loose fit.

I like a tight traditional fit in the waist where the kilt sits just below the rib cage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The placement of the hem may be due to the appearance of the custom tartan. The fold for the hem is at a sort of a reflection point in
    the pattern and may have been a more natural place where selvedge should have been placed in the weaving.
    Last edited by AustinDiver; 28th January 20 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDiver View Post
    I will wait. The kilt has a slightly different appearance than the other 2.

I am not sure that I am worried about the length. Scotweb/clan.com sizing has been pretty close to what I needed.

24" or 23.5" length is definitely too short for my tastes. I got a DC Dalgliesh on clearance that was 25" or so in length. It is a little wide in the waist and I will probably need to move the strap at some point. The length is actually a good starting point. I would say that I should stick with 25" - 26" length.

The seat was a couple of inches more than what I though that I needed. I have used that seat 43" for my other kilts. I like the loose fit.

I like a tight traditional fit in the waist where the kilt sits just below the rib cage.
    Were these kilts that had already been made for someone else and then were later offered for sale? Or were these kilts that were custom-made for you, based on measurements you provided?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a kilt on clearance that was made for someone else. Its waist was a little large.

The pattern was Glenalendale Plaid. It is a 37.5" waist with 43" seat and 25" length. It buckles on the last hole for the waist.

The others are 35.5" or 35" waist, 43" seat, and 26" length.

The others including the one above was made for me personally. The patterns were my own experiments.

These are now registered personal tartans. I ordered the hand sewn kilts back in the summer when prices and demand were not so stiff.

https://ibb.co/fv84d1H
    https://ibb.co/cvMXMtc

After this set, my purchases will cool down. I have a pretty good collection.

I ordered one kilt last spring (my first kilt) in " scout jamboree tartan", but it came in short. Partly my fault, partly confusing directions on the vendors site, and lack of confirmation of sizing. I would not order directly from that vendor(it was not scotweb) again, especially their 4 yard casual kilts(sloppy construction).

Scotweb does not put a name label on the kilts, even the hand sewn one. Who cares ? The fit and sizing have pretty close to spot on. The crappy casual kilt had a personalized label
    Last edited by AustinDiver; 28th January 20 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is this sewn hem going to affect the kilt over its life?
    Your photo appears to show a blind hem, which is the preferred method for shortening a kilt for someone who wasn't the original owner. Many a traditional Scottish kilt has been passed down through the family and hemmed this way. A few years ago, I needed a kilt taken up a bit, and this was precisely how it was recommended to be done. Yours should be fine over its life. You may just want to periodically press the fold to keep it crisp.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pattern was Glenalendale Plaid.
    Could we see a picture of this one please?

It is a 37.5" waist with 43" seat and 25" length. It buckles on the last hole for the waist.
    As a matter of interest, what height are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast