X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I hear, that's not an uncommon experience with cutting out wheat. It would be really interesting to see a comparison of an experimental group of people who only ever ate organically-grown older breeds of wheat before oil production was bred out of it vs. a control group of modern GMO wheat with all the chemical treatments. But that'd be darn near impossible to pull off nowadays.

Another good one to try, in my experience, is cutting out sugar. It seems to make a big difference for a lot of people. Eating foods that are skewed toward omega-3 oils is huge for me, too - avocado oil, olive oil, chia seeds, etc. But also avoiding some of the foods which have a higher omega-6 content. Coconut oil is great in soups and gives them a much richer taste, but in moderation with the amount of omega-6's that coconut oil has. I've found that I can pack a whole ton of healthy high-omega-3 plant oils into rice if I cook it right - makes it a lot easier to intake oils when they're mixed into something.

My diet's weird.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do use coconut oil in small quantities, but I mainly cook with organic virgin olive oil. Occasionally if I need a high heat oil, I use organic sunflower oil. No allergies that I know of, I just think it is healthy and tastes good too!

Dave

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Results of first attempt at dying: not remotely close to the color I was hoping for. A decent color, but it doesn't really go with anything else I have.

IMG_20200316_0925090 Cropped.jpg

(Natural hose on the left, dyed hose in the middle, green hose on the right for comparison. Photo taken against a white curtain for the best shot at having a fair color comparison. Apologies for the lousy photo.)

Equipment needed:
    Large stainless steel pot (I believe mine is a 12 quart)
    Stainless steel tongs
    Measuring cups
    Candy thermometer

Process/recipe used:
    1 pair of acrylic Deluxe Natural Hose (large size) from Sport Kilt - approximately 5.56oz dry
    2 gallons of water
    1 squirt of dish soap
    1 bottle of RIT DyeMore dye in Peacock Green
    1/3 cup of RIT DyeMore dye in Sapphire Blue

Water, soap, and dye heated in a stainless steel pot on the stove until candy thermometer showed 180°F/82°C. Wet hose and put them into pot. Kept temperature at 180°F/82°C, agitating the hose within it, for 30 minutes. Rinsed hose in clear water. Ran hose through one cycle in the washer with regular detergent and a squirt of dish soap.

I started with this recipe:

https://www.ritdye.com/color-formula...on=0&pantone=0

But ended up tweaking it as I went. First thing I changed from the directions was temperature. After watching results of others dying acrylic, it looked like acrylic yarns had a tendency to flatten and felt at the recommended temperature. So rather than almost boiling, I scaled it back to 180°F/82°C. The hose still felted a bit and the fibers flattened, so this might still be too hot for acrylic.

Next, their suggestion of 3 gallons of water for pretty much anything was way more water than needed for a single pair of hose. So I scaled that back to 2 gallons. Then I scaled the amounts of dye by 2/3, which meant 1/2 cup of green and 1/3 cup of blue. But both looking at it and testing it on a paper towel showed it to be pretty much entirely just blue. So I kept adding green and retesting until I had used the whole bottle. Was still pretty blue, but I thought I would try it. The dying and washing process went pretty easily.

As you can see, it's pretty much just a some desaturated sky blue color. For anyone with a Pantone book, I would have to say it's pretty close to about a Pantone 291C. Next time, I think I will try it with just green dye and see how it turns out. I will probably also leave it in the dye for longer than 30 minutes.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if we'd ever get some pics! Yeah, the result you showed is about what I expected, in terms of the colour that was retained. Synthetics just aren't going to take a deep hue when dyed. Repeated sessions may help a little, but I wouldn't count on much additional colour to be picked up. If you do try again, I'd recommend just leaving them in the dye bath for a long time. Days, or even a week.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The saturation of it is about what I expected - I figured it wouldn't take up very much dye. But the color...

For how much green I used compared to how little blue, I'm surprised it wasn't skewed more toward green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12