X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threads for the Symphony -

Hi all.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse as I know there has been discussion ad infinitum/nauseum about level of dress for different events.

I empathize with those for whom the lack of 'dress up' after six is distressing. I do like to dress and I am unabashedly a 'closet clothes horse' (groan, poor pun intended).

I am going to a concert in a medium sized southern town tomorrow night. I looked at the pictures of previous concerts and I did not see anyone really dressed above dark business suit.

When I lived in Atlanta and attended Atlanta Symphony events I and my wife dressed with me in black tie. So I am soliciting opinions. Dress in an BBSBA (hope I got that right) or in 'daywear' dark blue tweed Argyle, waistcoat (or no) day sporran either brown or black with shoes to match.

Thanks!

Jim
    Last edited by Lehane; 31st January 20 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about your particular area but I regularly attend chamber music and symphony concerts in the UK where the normal style can be classed as smart casual. The same applied in Philadelphia at Verizon Hall and the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society when we lived there. I was at Symphony Hall in Chicago recently to hear the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Ricardo Muti and that was the same too. In a packed audience of probably several thousand there may have been a handful dressed formally but in serious music concerts these days people go for the music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend splitting the difference—wear a black Argyll jacket with a solid color wool or silk tie. It will still read as “dressy” whereas the tweed fabric will look pretty rustic alongside someone in a dark suit.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh, I feel your pain. I say dress up, and dress to the 9s always. It’s your civic duty! If we don’t make a stand against slobbery, who knows how far we’ll fall as a society. I always love seeing a couple dressed wonderfully, it lifts the tone of the whole room and can be inspiring (and hopefully infectious)!
    @andrewrhysyoung on social media

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also throwing in my two cents about what I see here in NYC, when I attend the opera or theatre etc, dress really depends on where you’re seated. At the Lincoln Centre, it’s not uncommon to see people dressed in black tie in the orchestra and ring seats. But it definitely gets more casual the further up you go where the seats get less expensive.

I remember a friend of mine once shared the funny observation that people dress for the opera (now) like they used to dress for the theatre, and people dress for the theatre like they used to dress for the movies, and now, people just dress for the movies like they’re going to the mall.... that doesn’t mean it’s okay though! It’s just a funny observation.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is true that dress conventions have slipped of late, this was my mom and I about 13 years ago. I took her to a show called Scotland the Brave for her birthday. It was a One Night show and it was on her Birthday, she was born in Scotland.

I was asked if I was on-stage and told what a great show we put on etc. having said that, I recently went to see the Phantom of the Opera here in Toronto I did not wear the kilt, I wore a blue suit. My point is that some people showed up wearing sweat pants. If I were to wear a kilt to the theatre now I think Black tie would be reserved for Opening Night, I would wear the Blue Argyll jacket with the waistcoat.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You and your mum look amazing McMurdo! Honestly if I had of seen you at the theatre, I would have stopped you to congratulate you on how great you look.

Feeling you on the sweatpants.... I don't know how people do it. I would feel so uncomfortable, whenever I'm underdressed, I always think I'm bringing it down for others - it could be a really special occasion like an anniversary or engagement or something like that for them...and I hate the feeling of lurking in the background in a teeshirt... you never know! We owe it to others to look our best, I think.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to AndrewSinclairYoung For This Useful Post:

JohnnyO is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    It is true that dress conventions have slipped of late, this was my mom and I about 13 years ago. I took her to a show called Scotland the Brave for her birthday. It was a One Night show and it was on her Birthday, she was born in Scotland.

I was asked if I was on-stage and told what a great show we put on etc. having said that, I recently went to see the Phantom of the Opera here in Toronto I did not wear the kilt, I wore a blue suit. My point is that some people showed up wearing sweat pants. If I were to wear a kilt to the theatre now I think Black tie would be reserved for Opening Night, I would wear the Blue Argyll jacket with the waistcoat.
    Just had to say you (both) look absolutely terrific ! Real credit to the tartan.

Bring Forrit the Tartan.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Just had to say you (both) look absolutely terrific ! Real credit to the tartan.

Bring Forrit the Tartan.
    Thank you she had a great time. I surprised her with the tickets met her at my Aunt and Uncles house and drove to Roy Thompson Hall. We are pictured with my friend Chris Reesor who is the drum major for the 48th Highlanders of Toronto who were part of the show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to dress to match the seating. For concerts of our local symphony orchestra, the cheap seats are definitely smart casual. Box seats are business suit (used to be black tie). So no matter if I wear pants or kilt, I will meet the expectation.

I tend to only be able to afford box seats if I get them through some sort of promotion or inside deal so that's not often. I'm usually in the cheap seats where it's blue jeans, dark V-neck tee and natty tweed jacket (or kilt and button-up shirt without tie, and perhaps a tweed jacket).