X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tartan advice for relatives

I felt that this belonged in the advice subforum rather than the tartan one even though it's not about kilts specifically. Mods may move it if they feel it's necessary.

I was recently visiting family and some of my cousins, who are young girls, were taken with the tartan sash my wife was wearing in some of our photos. I'm happy to get them some but I'm unsure about something.

My inclination is to get them sashes in a universal tartan of their choosing since they are not from the side of my family with MacDonald heritage. However, another relative and sometimes kilt-wearer, felt I was being too rigid about the whole clan tartan thing and should just get them MacDonald.

Am I being too religious about this? I feel that it's not up to me to "adopt" people into the clan and that a universal tartan is just more appropriate.

What do others think?
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal opinion only.

If the girls like MacDononald, and want to wear MacDonald, they should be able to wear what they like.

But - It is probably not the name they are seeing but the colors and the idea behind how a sash would dress up their outfits. Ask them what colors they like or what color caught their eye. Then maybe you can find a different design with those colors. Maybe they want to match and maybe they would prefer to have their own different from the others.

Who can tell with girls?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From c1830 onwards, Wilsons and other manufacturers were selling clan tartans widely across the world as fashion patterns and this practice continues to this day. A retailer will happily sell almost anything to anyone, they don't ask for proof of ID, if they did the tartan industry would have died a long time ago. If they like MacDonald, let them wear it, just make sure to educate them on what they are wearing.
    Last edited by figheadair; 4th February 20 at 12:44 PM.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

JohnnyO is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    From c1830 onwards, Wilsons and other manufacturers were selling clan tartans widely across the world as fashion patterns and this practice continues to this day. A retailer will happily sell almost anything to anyone, they don't ask for proof of ID, if they did the tartan industry would have died a longt ime ago. If they like MacDonald, let them wear it, just make sure to educate them on what they are wearing.
    Exactly what Figheadair says above. When I got my first adult kilt some 40 years ago the kiltmaker, Jimmie Kirpatrick of Thistle Bagpipes, Luss, said almost the same to me.
    His other suggestions included, "Tell them it's a private family matter"; "Say your granny wore it"; and if it really bothers you contact the Clan Chief or Society and ask permission.
    Whilst I did obtain permission from the Earl of Caithness to wear Sinclair tartan, in the intervening decades I've often been asked what tartan I wear, but never, ever what right I have to wear it.
    Get the young ladies their tartan and I hope they thoroughly enjoy the wearing of it.

Bring Forrit the Tartan.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice everyone.

Mods, can you please correct the spelling in my title which I just realized says “adice?”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you consider them family by marriage, blood, allegiance or association? Then I think that meets the traditional definition of a Highland Clan!
    Since clan tartans are not actually as old as time, and MacDonald tartans are not the sole property of one person, if that is the one they prefer then full steam ahead!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about it - if they like your family tartan, take it as a compliment.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Do you consider them family by marriage, blood, allegiance or association? Then I think that meets the traditional definition of a Highland Clan!
    Since clan tartans are not actually as old as time, and MacDonald tartans are not the sole property of one person, if that is the one they prefer then full steam ahead!
    Adopted by a blood uncle from my more German side of the family.

I actually think it's neat that so many support them using MacDonald tartan. It wasn't quite the response I expected and I'm starting to come around.

Glad I asked.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    From c1830 onwards, Wilsons and other manufacturers were selling clan tartans widely across the world as fashion patterns and this practice continues to this day. A retailer will happily sell almost anything to anyone, they don't ask for proof of ID, if they did the tartan industry would have died a long time ago. If they like MacDonald, let them wear it, just make sure to educate them on what they are wearing.
    Sadly Peter is right. Its too late to change things now, but I amongst others, wish that it could be.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: